Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't access BIOS after Ubuntu install

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:05 PM

Hi,

So I installed Ubuntu 12.04 on my second hard drive, leaving my primary C drive with Win7. After that, I was supposed to be able to go into BIOS and set up the boot order to dual-boot both OS's. As the subject line says, I can't get into BIOS for some reason.

Now, before anyone jumps to conclusions, yes, I pressed the correct button to get into BIOS at the POST screen (I built the computer and I overclock, that should tell you that I know my way around). For whatever reason, after installing Ubuntu, the thing won't recognize that I kept pressing the DEL button to enter BIOS. It'll just boot up straight into Win7. After seeing that I made a mistake in partitioning my 2nd drive for Ubuntu, I decided to delete everything on that drive and just start over again. Lo and behold, I can access BIOS again. Just weird.

I'm guessing there's something to do with my mobo and the Ubuntu bootloader that's not quite getting along, but I can't think of what or why. I mean, BIOS is completely isolated from either OS's and so's the POST, so why is this happening? Hopefully someone here has the answer and the fix?

Mobo is Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 (1.0)  BIOS version is F10 (I'd like to avoid flashing to a newer one, if I can).

Thanks!

UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:15 PM

Some documentation about the bug and some type of workaround here:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/232683/ubuntu-install-removed-bios-option

After you confirm it is not your keyboard, I would try resetting the BIOS back to original default values. There should be a "clear CMOS" jumper on the board. Check your motherboard manual for how to do it.

#3 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:42 PM

Yeah, it's not the keyboard, and the jumper on the motherboard would've been a last resort. As it is, however, it seems I've solved the problem by downloading their Boot Repair disc and now I can get into BIOS again. Time to start fooling around in Ubuntu and see what it's capable of. Thanks for responding.

UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#4 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:55 PM

,  that's good info ..... thanks for posting back

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users