Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Key Won't Delete

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 21 April 2006 - 08:37 PM

I am trying to delete all Hewlett Packard software from a XP Home machine. I have run all uninstallers, but three entries remain in add/remove programs, only without change/remove buttons. After 2 hours with HP they instructed me to delete 'Hewlett Packard' and 'HP' folders from the program files. And edit the registry by going to:

HKLM > Software > Microsoft > Windows > Current Version > Uninstaller
and delete all HP entries. There were none.

Then go to:

HKLM > Software
And delete 'HP' and 'Hewlett Packard' keys. They were both present. I deleted them. Reboot. And the Hewlett Packard key reappears! It keeps coming back.

I uninstalled this key in safe mode and rebooted into safe mode. Key still gone. Reboot into real mode, key reappears.

Obviously something is running in real mode that is putting the key back into the registry. Does anyone have any idea what is going on here or how I can fully delete this key?

Thanks so much.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 21 April 2006 - 09:18 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 09:12 PM

Hi Albert. Try this one from Microsoft K Base

How to Manually Remove Programs from the Add or Remove Programs Tool

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314481/en-us

I hope this works let me know

I will ask around if there is anybody that knows of a program that will uninstall specific HP files.

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 09:16 PM

That KB article was given to me by HP and I followed it. The issue remains.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 09:35 PM

Ok Here is another article I found

HP.com home

Software 101: finding hidden programs

http://www.homeandoffice.hp.com/hho/cache/...-0-225-121.html

By the way congrats on trying HP tech support but I will give you a tip, They will not tell you where the secret files are.

What hp device are you trying to remove?

#5 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 09:42 PM

This one looks a little complicated but here it is:

The "ls" Utility (And Hidden Files)

http://wdvl.com/Internet/UNIX/Intro/ls.html

Have more fun

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 10:01 PM

ls is a UNIX command. Works well in Linux, too.

AE, I don't suppose you'd have any luck with one of the Uninstaller programs or Ccleaner . . ?

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 07:23 AM

Thanks for the help, guys. A little background. I am simply trying to install a new all in one printer and it won't install correctly. The computer has recently been scrubbed and Windows reinstalled. Then as I try to install the brand new printer the installation fails. I since installed a second (different, older) HP printer and that went well. Also a HP scanner and that went well. Then have been speaking with HP via emial, chat, and a couple of hours on the phone.

The first thing I tried is to install the new printer on another computer, which I did and it went ok. So, back to the first computer:

They say ALL Hp software must be removed from the first computer before trying to install the new printer. (Frankly I don't know what difference this will make because the first time I tried to install it there was practically no software on the computer except Windows anyway!). But here comes the rub. Not all of their software will uninstall.

I used add/remove programs. I went to the list of their software in All Programs and ran uninstallers where they were available. I also learned about a scrubber utility that came with the new printer. I ran the scrubber but still some software remnants remain.

I have three listings in add/remove programs of HP software still. However, when I highlight them there is no remove option. Just a listing.

Again, following HP's advice I removed the HP and Hewlett-Packard folders from Program Files, and removed all references to HP and Hewlett-Packard from the registry as earlier described. However, the Hewlet-Packard key keeps reappearing everytime I boot into real mode.

There are a few HP listings in msconfig > Startup Items but none are checked.

AE, I don't suppose you'd have any luck with one of the Uninstaller programs or Ccleaner . . ?

I did try to use Uninstall Plus! but had no luck with this as no HP software was listed. I have not tried any other third party programs yet.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#8 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 08:52 AM

Sorry about the "Is" thing I guess I goofed. On the computer that this HP software will not install. If it did not install right the first time and HP tells you that you have to remove all of the HP software from it, actually I think they are off their tree. I do not know what is in this computer as pertaining to parts and such but there has to be something that is causing a conflict with the HP printer software. Since this computer just had a complete reinstall of whichever version of Windows and Hp says, "Get all of HP Software out," I would suggest reinstall the OS again from scratch, O know it is a pain but this may be the only way to get the unknown program from HP out of there because HP sure ain't going to tell you what it is. Before you reinstall I would remove all of the cards from the slots except the video card and then do the install. You can always put the option cards back later and Windows should recognize them and do this one at a time. If you installed Service Pack 2 - DO NOT IN THIS RE_INSTALLATION. Service Pack 2 may be causing this problem. I would even omit doing the Windows Update until after you install the HP software.

I know this is a lot of work but I look at it this way

Ain't computers fun WOW!

#9 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 11:14 AM

Albert, when you say you cleaned registry stuff, did you mean this?

Some info here.

#10 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 12:29 PM

If it did not install right the first time and HP tells you that you have to remove all of the HP software from it, actually I think they are off their tree.

I gotta tell ya, it doesn't make much sense to me.

I would suggest reinstall the OS again from scratch

I am already leaning toward that. Pain, yes, but so is spending hours on the phone with India.

I would even omit doing the Windows Update until after you install the HP software.

That is an idea I hadn't thought of. Yes, Windows was completely updated when I first tried to install the HP printer.

Albert, when you say you cleaned registry stuff, did you mean this

No, not exactly. I meant I did what I had described in my earlier posts.

Some info here.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

I am leaning towards another reinstall of Windows. Try to install the HP printer again, and if it fails again, get a different model printer, or maybe even a different manufacturer's. Don't know. Of course we could still come up with a magic bullet here that would make my world all peacefull and calm! :thumbsup:
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#11 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 02:19 PM

I've recently been through this on a laptop, and the USB ports were corrupted, apparently by the HP PID. Not only would the printer not install/function properly, some of the other USB devices were non-functional. It's painful writing to HP support because they keep telling you to do the things you told them you did in the previous post.

#12 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 09:33 PM

Hi Albert, One thing else. Did you take a look and try to get a newer set of software and driver for this HP device?

What model is it? I will ask around and see if anybody has had a problem like this with this model.

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 22 April 2006 - 11:34 PM

Why would you have to uninstall all HP software?
I have a computer with an all in one and a 940c printer on it at the same time, even networked so other computers on the lan can use either one as well, and I can choose which one prints.

Having to uninstall the previous printer doesn't make sense.

How are you trying to install the all in one? They are problematic sometimes because of the scanner software.

Edited by Enthusiast, 22 April 2006 - 11:36 PM.

#14 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 07:09 AM

Did you take a look and try to get a newer set of software and driver for this HP device?

Yes, in the process of trying to make this work I downloaded all of the software from the HP website, even though it is the exact same version that is on the disk. Same results.

Having to uninstall the previous printer doesn't make sense.

Who says it has to make sense??? It is HP! :thumbsup:
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#15 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 10:17 AM

Just for the heck of it, open your Device Manager and in the view menu check "show hidden devices" and see if there are other HP printer installs. I saw this mentioned about 3/4 of the way down this page in a post by Mark Kohalmy.

I'm thinking HP has a lot to answer for . . .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users