Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Macbook pro unibody wont turn on, amber charging light is on

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HAJiME

HAJiME

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:41 AM

Macbook pro 13" burdenous unibody.

Battery was saying replace soon for a few weeks.

Turned it off last night. This morning no life.

Plugged into the wall the amber charging light comes on.

Have tried shift+ctrl+alt+power button reset, no luck.

I assume this is because it needs a new battery, but googling I can't get a confirmation and everyone else seems to report a green light and a refusal to charge/thinking it is charged. Also, if it's plugged in, even if the battery was completely useless, surely it should turn on?

I'm going to have to go to the Apple store to get a new battery anyway, but I'd like to have an idea of exactly whats going on if I can because I fear them overcharging me if I seem clueless.

Thanks for the help. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:25 AM

Macbook pro 13" burdenous unibody.

Battery was saying replace soon for a few weeks.

Turned it off last night. This morning no life.

Plugged into the wall the amber charging light comes on.

Have tried shift+ctrl+alt+power button reset, no luck.

I assume this is because it needs a new battery, but googling I can't get a confirmation and everyone else seems to report a green light and a refusal to charge/thinking it is charged. Also, if it's plugged in, even if the battery was completely useless, surely it should turn on?

I'm going to have to go to the Apple store to get a new battery anyway, but I'd like to have an idea of exactly whats going on if I can because I fear them overcharging me if I seem clueless.

Thanks for the help. :)

Sounds like you tried reseting the SMC:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

If so, then your best option is to make an appointment at the Apple Store. They will evaluate it for free and give you an estimate for what needs to be done...including if it is just to replace the battery. Apple generally is pretty good about being straight forward and consistent with their pricing. Thus, I seriously doubt they will "overcharge" you. That does not mean that Apple repairs cannot be expensive. So, depending on how "adventurous" you are, once they diagnose the problem, you could try to fix it yourself. There are places to get Apple parts...potentially new, but frequently used (if talking about the main parts). And there are sites that provide good instructions on how to do the repairs/upgrades/etc.

FWIW, the cost of the new battery according to this page should be £99 (you will need to click on Battery Replacement and then How much does battery replacement cost?):

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_States&product=Macnotebooks

#3 HAJiME

HAJiME
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:56 AM

Thanks!

Right, I went to the Apple store. They suspect logic board failure. They said the battery might need replacing as well.

Internet tells me that's a known problem, do I have a chance of getting the price reduced from the whopping £400 they've quoted? :/

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:16 AM

Thanks!

Right, I went to the Apple store. They suspect logic board failure. They said the battery might need replacing as well.

Internet tells me that's a known problem, do I have a chance of getting the price reduced from the whopping £400 they've quoted? :/

Not likely.

About the only way to lower the price would be to do it yourself.  And even then you might not save that much.

The site that I have used (www.ifixit.com) has logic boards for 2011 13" MBPs from $620 to $850 (not sure which specific 2011 model you have) and the battery is about $120 (all in US dollars).  If my conversion from pounds to dollars is about right, then these prices are comparable to what they quote you, which suggests the logic boards from iFixit are new, not used.

You likely could find a used logic board (or a damaged version of your model that you buy for parts) on eBay for less.

#5 HAJiME

HAJiME
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:52 PM

Thank you for your advice!

I have an update.. They now say it's the top case.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but does that not simply mean "your on button doesn't work, we can't just replace that, so the whole thing needs to go"?

They've quoted me £150.

How does an on button simply stop working? I've had no issues with responsiveness before... In fact, I don't often even use said button, because in truth I rarely turn it off.

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:39 PM

Thank you for your advice!

I have an update.. They now say it's the top case.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but does that not simply mean "your on button doesn't work, we can't just replace that, so the whole thing needs to go"?

They've quoted me £150.

How does an on button simply stop working? I've had no issues with responsiveness before... In fact, I don't often even use said button, because in truth I rarely turn it off.

It is probably integrated with the top case. If so, it is like how some small dent in a car's bumper still ends up costing you hundreds of dollars since bumpers these days have all kind of integrated parts attached to...it is not just the bumper.

If it helps, the top case part on iFixit for a 13" MBP is $300 US. And the button is integral as is the keyboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users