Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cloning

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cardinalfan1

cardinalfan1

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:12 AM

I am going to buy a new computer and have a great deal of programs on the old one. I was hoping to clone the drive on the old computer and install on the drive of the new one. I have a 2 terabyte external drive and would like to use this  as a medium to install on the new computer. Are there any suggestions or tutorials on the best software to use for this? I was hoping not to lose any programs that I have on the old computer.

hope I chose the right forum.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 11 August 2013 - 11:49 AM.
moved from Tips and Tricks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:40 AM

In general, in theory cloning would do what you want.

HOWEVER...it is a bit more complicated when going from an old computer to a new computer due how Windows licensing works as well as potentially driver issues.

Even assuming you can effectively solve the potential drivers issue (you basically would need to remove many, if not all, of the drivers for the old computer so that the drivers for that computer do not cause crashes/problems on the new computer), then you still would have to deal with Windows licensing/activation issues.

Generally speaking, the Windows OS that comes with "retail" computers (i.e. Dells, HPs, Acers, etc) is an OEM license that is generally "locked" to work only on that brand (if not also model) of computer. In other words, using Windows installed on a Dell will generally not work on an HP, etc.

If it is a custom built computer (i.e. either one you built or one that was built for you typically locally), then it is theoretically possible...depending on the license. If it is an OEM/System Builder License, then by way of the license, you are not permitted to move the OS. With newer Windows versions (i.e. Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8), this is basically enforced by the activation system. If it is a Retail license, then you are permitted to move it by way of the license...but it is still likely going to be a pain in the rear.

Generally speaking, you are going to much better off just re-installing the programs on the new computer rather than trying to figure out if/how you can transfer them over.

#3 Simply_Michael

Simply_Michael

• Banned Spammer
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:53 AM

I don't think that cloning is possible, various issue may come including registry, DLL, instalation files, Licence activation, version, os, hardware support etc. you have to install software manually one by one. required lot of hardwork....

Edited by Simply_Michael, 14 August 2013 - 06:54 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users