Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just installed MS Office Word (2010) Cannot open any odt or sxw files

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dazza

Dazza

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:24 PM

Hi as it say I cannot open any of my odt or sxw Documents that I saved with OpenOffice writer that I had to uninstall because it was leaving about 40 odt files running in Prossess in the Background

eg:Task Manager > Prossess. So I installed MS office 2010 and all the files I have are 90% odt and sxw and MS Word 2010 will not open them? looks like a coding issue? see Attachment? I can open these file's in Word Pad no problems. Im also having trouble setting up a "Default Style" which I use all the time I never use anything else it's only a Home Computer the Default Style Format I want to set is: > Veranda >11 > reguler > Line size 1.5 It's been many years since I had to set this all up and I have completly Forgotten I would appreciate any help please :unsure: Dazza PS what do I do to convert Snagit ScrShots Make them Smaller so I can Attach them here

?Attached File  ScrShotodt 8-11-2013 1-22-43 PM.png   12.65KB   1 downloads

2013 DELL Inspiron 660, Intel 4 CPU - 2.4 GB, 512 Meg Ram, 64 bit / BEN-Q 21.5" Scr,

Windows 10, Weston 1000 T-byte HDD - Partitions -  G, -  H, - I, - J 

CCleaner, Kaspersky (Full Version) MWMByts Weekly

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,860 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:52 PM

How did you uninstall OO ?

When you double click on one of your files.....does OO still try to open it ?....(this is despite the fact that you uninstalled it..!?)

Can you right click on a file....select "open with".....does OO still appear in the menu there as an option to open the file with?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 Dazza

Dazza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:25 PM

Condobloke Thanks Cobba No its Word Page but its Grey and this Little Page of Dos "Gobbliegook" That I put in the Sctreen  Shot!

I have done the open with and it's putting MS Word up as the Default, as it should I guess, I can show you bgut this won't accept my ScrShots keeps sying they are too big?? Dazza

2013 DELL Inspiron 660, Intel 4 CPU - 2.4 GB, 512 Meg Ram, 64 bit / BEN-Q 21.5" Scr,

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,860 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:37 PM

I think OO is muddying the waters in some way......I had a similar experience with an older version of OO

I would reinstall OO.......then uninstall it using Revu Uninstaller Free...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/search/?keyword=revo+uninstaller

Double click Revo Uninstaller to run it.
From the list of programs double click on The Program to remove
When prompted if you want to uninstall click Yes.
Be sure the Moderate option is selected then click Next.
The program will run, If prompted again click Yes
when the built-in uninstaller is finished click on Next.
Once the program has searched for leftovers click Next.
Check/tick the bolded items only on the list then click Delete
when prompted click on Yes and then on next.
put a check on any folders that are found and select delete
when prompted select yes then on next
Once done click Finish.

This will ensure all the "bits and pieces" are removed as well.

Reboot when finished.

Any change??

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#5 Dazza

Dazza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:56 AM

Condobloke I have done all of that, Revo and CCleaner and then went into Task Manager, Processes and Stopped the 40 odd ODT's that were running in there! There is no OpenOffice left on the computer that I can see if I could just show you the Screen Shot of what is comming Up you would know immediatly whats wrong Dazza

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users