Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I cannot boot from my SSD?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Joly

Joly

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:50 PM

I just bought windows 8 and a new SSD today, I installed windows 8 on my old hd then did a data migration to my new SSD. Once I rebooted it said there was an issue with the boot file and that I should insert my bootable disc and restart. Once my windows 8 disc was in I restarted and the same thing happened... Now with my old drive as the first priority in my bios my computer runs but not off of my SSD as I wish it would. 
First of all I'd like to understand why I can't simply install windows 8 onto my SSD without having to go through with the migration process (just a clean install) and how come there are no boot files on my SSD?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pendragonfalls

pendragonfalls

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:46 AM

What is the machine you are trying to install the SSD into.?

Some older machines won't recognise a SSD drive, and most newer ones you will have to change settings in the BIOS, in order for it to "see" a SSD.

#3 Joly

Joly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:06 PM

It's a pretty new machine, recently put it back together after I had to replace the MB and graphics card. It sees the SSD in the bios because I can attempt to boot from it (set it as priority in my bios) but it says there are no boot files. Should I format the SSD and try to clean isntall? 

#4 pendragonfalls

pendragonfalls

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:15 PM

If the BIOS can see it, then all is well. I'd guess that the software you used to diskcopy, hasn't done a proper job.

I think your only option would be to try a clean install, as you suggested.

Do you have another machine you can plug the SSD into, in case you need to save any files before hand.?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users