Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The French Spiderman

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:32 PM

I think I have either seen, heard of or read about every single miraculous feat accomplished by humans in my time. It seems impossible to isolate any one of these unbelievable feats as being  special. But I must personally choose the exploits of Alain Robert, the French Spiderman as the most outstanding personality I have  ever seen.

He has climbed almost every one of the world`s tallest buildings freestyle, without ropes or any safety equipment. Just his fingers and feet. In all this death defying activity, he suffers from Epilepsy and has to take daily medication.

To give examples of Alain`s accomplishments would be impossible. You must surf the web and read them for yourself, plus video`s and lots of photo`s.

I have some small experience of being subjected to great heights, since for many years I took part in skydiving as a sport and to see this man standing on the very spire of the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur without any support and waving his arms about at 1,483 feet high, most probably with a significant wind force, gives me the shudders.

And when he has climbed these buildings, he has to climb down again to a point where he can  enter the building via a door or window, sometimes many hundreds of feet below. The police are always waiting to arrest him, but a few days in jail and Alain is free again.

Here is a shot of him after climbing the Petronas Towers enjoying his success on the top of the spire. A helicopter is seen flying way below him.

Spidermanresize_zps2779cebf.jpg

Edited by yabbadoo, 10 August 2013 - 06:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:47 AM

We must not of  course  forget the countless thousands of ordinary workers who built the American and other countries skyscrapers. In the early years there was no real safety equipment or particular care for the workers on the part of the  construction company,.

They were considered expendable and just walked the beams, planks and girders several hundreds of feet up in winds and nothing else but space, did their work and died if they put a foot wrong. Many hundreds did meet their deaths, just trying to earn a living.

Skyscraperworker_zpse3375ded.jpg

Every single one of these unsung heroes has my greatest  respect and admiration.

Edited by yabbadoo, 11 August 2013 - 08:12 AM.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:28 PM

My take is that while Alain is indeed quite the accomplished daredevil. His exploits are severely diminished because he's nothing more than a common criminal with breaking and entering and trespassing.

If he were to suffer a tragedy the property owners would be crucified for failure to prevent his antics. If one of us were to 'break in' and trespass and do everything but climb we would not be taken so lightly and suffer the legal consequences.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:46 PM

My take is that while Alain is indeed quite the accomplished daredevil. His exploits are severely diminished because he's nothing more than a common criminal with breaking and entering and trespassing.

If he were to suffer a tragedy the property owners would be crucified for failure to prevent his antics. If one of us were to 'break in' and trespass and do everything but climb we would not be taken so lightly and suffer the legal consequences.

Hello Animal,

Well as you know, everybody is entitled to their own opinion, that is what a Forum is all about. I have given my opinion and you have given yours.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users