Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS update - auto closes after 1st run, (created & mod) dates in System32 change?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dev00790

dev00790

Bleeping Chocoholic

• Members
  • 5,037 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 04:15 PM

Hi

The below is on my PC.

Potential problem:

Before MS update was run: Pic1
No updates were found nor installed - This is since MS update automatically closes a few seconds after the "Check for updates" button is pressed.

After MS update was run: Pic2

Note the created and modified dates change on the files.

Questions:

Why does MS update window close?
Why the new created & modified dates?
Is it as designed or malicious?

Regards, dev00790

---------------------------------------

Marge: "Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday." Homer: "Woo-hoo! Four-day weekend!"I do not reply to Private Messages (PMs) asking for assistance - please use the forums instead. If I have been helping you, and I have not replied to your latest post in 48 hours please send me a PM. My Blog

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AdvancedSetup

AdvancedSetup

• Security Colleague
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:15 PM

If you review the log for updates it should tell you what it did. In most cases the fine print says it needs to update the Windows Updater and it will close on it's own. If you wait a few minutes it should auto launch again on its own unless something prevented it or it ran into an update issue on it's own.

Yes, it's normal behavior

#3 dev00790

dev00790

Bleeping Chocoholic

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,037 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:18 PM

Ok thanks :)

Regards, dev00790

---------------------------------------

Marge: "Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday." Homer: "Woo-hoo! Four-day weekend!"I do not reply to Private Messages (PMs) asking for assistance - please use the forums instead. If I have been helping you, and I have not replied to your latest post in 48 hours please send me a PM. My Blog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users