Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VPN

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 roserose

roserose

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:08 PM

My pc has been hacked many times in the last few years by a creep.  Local and state police aren't technically savvy enough to do anything about it and apparently the Feds have more important things to do.  So someone from the Geek Squad suggested a Virtual Private Network.  Says it will make anything taken from my pc unreadable.

I googled the subject, but much of it is way over my head.  Any advice or opinions about this?

Can hackers get past VPN's these days?  Will it still pick up my internet connection (basically a "dial-up" on a usb port from Verizon), just as they have picked up my cell phone with a scanner?  Then proceeded to get into my pc thru that.

The Geek says he must come to my home to do this, but couldn't explain why.  Because there is an address associated with your pc when you buy it?  Considering I used a mailbox facility for my address when buying the pc, does that make a difference?  My latest pc has never been to my home as the facilitator to the techie creep (ok, TWO creeps involved) had access to my pc there.

If the creep gets a hold of my pc id#, would he still be able to put trojans with malware and keyloggers on my pc, as he did with the last pc?

Does the VPN provide more security than the usual software?  Or just scramble the info on my pc?

As said, any info or guidance would be very helpful.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:13 PM

Hi,

I can't help you with any of the other questions but I do use VPN on a daily basis. It is strictly for connecting between two points - you and perhaps your network at work. That connection is difficult to hack, not impossible. It does nothing for any of my other connections or web surfing, to include my connection here.

I'm not too thrilled with the tech's responses. To establish a VPN connection the computer has to have the client installed and know where it is going to connect. After that it's exact location does not have to be fixed.Our organization has perhaps 500 sedans and other vehicles that use VPN connections to remain in communication with their dispatchers and each other.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:39 PM

See http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/497775/is-using-a-vpn-a-good-idea-security-wise/#entry3076407

This was discussed earlier and a few links were left there -

Thanks -

#4 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:57 AM

I think other solutions are more appropriate, but it depends on your system setup.

Do you have any idea how your machine was hacked?

Does your machine have a public IP address?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#5 roserose

roserose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:47 PM

Thanks for all the input; guess I'll have to grill the geek guy more to understand.  Definitely will choose a paying plan for encryption and more security. 

I know it seems impossible. but they hack right thru my internet connection and put trojans with keyloggers on my pc that way.  They picked up my internet connection with a scanner for cell #'s, as the VZN USB connection and wifi works with essentially a cell phone #.  They did it also when I had DSL.  Didn't know this was even possible except that someone suddenly knows everything I do, email, say on the phone, etc.  I was informed from an expert (I can no longer find him) about the trojans with keyloggers, etc.

Someone in my home gave the tech creep my pc's id#, making the trojan even easier to put on my machine!  Tho I bought a new one, I never take it home after the person was able to bypass my locked cabinent and password to find the #!!!

Tho it is my intention to leave when possible, I know now moving wouldn't matter; they can always pick up my connection with the scanner and hack from there, once they find out where I am!  And they can find out anything these days...for while, they followed me with the GPS on my own phone until I figured it out.

Believe it or not, they have even managed to hack the local library where I am forced to access the internet.  The pc's there break down constantly since the tech creep began showing up.  Tried to to tell the librarian, but she treated me like I was a paranoid freak.  As if it's not possible to actually KNOW someone who does this; they're all supposedly anonymous!  Then all my business became known, as usual.  Worse, my two visas were charged fraudulently...I'm sure it's the tech creep who was able to get the info while hacking at the library.

Well. thanks for listening to my woes...just never thought all this was even possible!  The last techie creep MAY have given up as I followed him last time I saw him at the library....He was fiddling with a device in his car and said "whoops, here she comes, got to go!" to someone on the phone.  Then he sped off like a bat out of h.....  Got his license # and I decided I'd turn him in to the local police if he shows up and suspiciously hangs out in his car again, tho I know they don't have th tech savvy to prove anything.  But it might scare him off if he knows the police are "wise" to him, esp as it seems they have much more to hide, including identity theft of credit cards.

Haven't seen him lurking there since.  But the one who wants to know everything about me will probably search for another hacker.

Argh.  Watch out, people.

R

#6 antaji

antaji

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:41 AM

That creep deserved to spend a couple weeks in Jail. Back to VPN, I always use VPN and never had been attacked by hackers or whatsoever.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:39 AM

A couple weeks is not enough.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 roserose

roserose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:03 PM

Thanks alot for your feedback!  I am going to give it a try.  Just wish the "authorities" were up to speed on these hacking, technical issues.   The bad guys are always ahead.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:21 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

#10 roserose

roserose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:03 PM

For antaji-

Does VPN encrypt your connection to the internet, also?  The creeps get to my computer thru my internet connections, such as DSL and wifi.  It's very true about it often being malware when your pc suddenly freezes up.  That's how I experienced it; service would freeze up, then after an hour or so, it would go back to fairly normal except my security would inform me about a trojan or virus or whatever suddenly on the computer!  So now I immediately disconnect when it freezes up.

So, since this is the way they get access, would the VPN hide/encrypt the internet connection # so the freezing wouldn't happen?  Hopefully, there would be no way to access thru those connections becasue the VPN would disguise them?

Thanks for all your help!

#11 antaji

antaji

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:21 AM

For antaji-

Does VPN encrypt your connection to the internet, also?  The creeps get to my computer thru my internet connections, such as DSL and wifi.  It's very true about it often being malware when your pc suddenly freezes up.  That's how I experienced it; service would freeze up, then after an hour or so, it would go back to fairly normal except my security would inform me about a trojan or virus or whatever suddenly on the computer!  So now I immediately disconnect when it freezes up.

So, since this is the way they get access, would the VPN hide/encrypt the internet connection # so the freezing wouldn't happen?  Hopefully, there would be no way to access thru those connections becasue the VPN would disguise them?

Thanks for all your help!

What I recommend you. Reset your router password and install clean windows on your computer. After that order a VPN. Here's the VPN provider list 

A VPN connection tunnels your incoming and outcoming data so that creep will not be able to connect to your computer.

#12 roserose

roserose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:21 PM

Thanks for your help and support!  It seems I don't have much choice.  Will let you know how it goes.  Thanks again.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:49 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

#14 roserose

roserose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:54 PM

Thanks for your reply:  I haven't had VPN yet, just getting info.  So glad you haven't heard of any hacking thru VPN!  Will be testing it out soon.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:37 PM

Good luck with your testing...that's a great way to learn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users