Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Money and Greed

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jcta79

jcta79

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:46 PM

Hello everyone,

I have debates with my twin about all sorts of things. One of the debates was about money and greed. I mentioned what if we was to do away with money, would things be better off? Would we still have the class warfare and greed that plagues us. My brother said it is not the money that is the hurts us it is the love of money. I watched Zeitgeist and just wondered what if we did away with money. I would like peoples opinions on the matter. 

Gracias

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:55 PM

The answer is Historical.

If you look throughout History, this topic sustains many burdens, A quick look at the modern world and the civilizations that flourished, they all used money as an alternative to just trading commodities. It is as simple as using weights and measures. The first civilizations flourished because of agriculture. I think it is in modern day Iraq that Beer was first discovered and mass produced. That discovery blew the lid off (pun intended) and what we know now as the modern world was born.

Trade has always been the birthplace of wealth. Units of trade can't be just recorded. i.e. i give you 3 goats if you give me 5 kilos of barley to make 20 gallons of beer.   There has always been coins as long as there has been trade amondt regions. The real geographical origin of money as we know it is China. Paper money was born there, it was just perverted around the rest of the world.

But nowadays, we think of trade as in "I let you slave my Arctic Silver 5  a.k.a. AS5 for so many hours for this amount, that i in turn trade for a new motherboard for my PC.  What is stopping anyone from saying "I will give you this many hours of servitude for that Motherboard" ?   and the answer is MONEY,   money enables you to choose not to buy anything and save for tuition instead, kind of like life choices to be made on a personal scale.  But that IS on a personal scale, it gets more complicated when the discussion turns to foreign trade amongst Nations.

Wealth isn't created just by printing money, That is not what the Chinese intended when they originated paper money. it is created by trade. how does the market dictate what wealth is concentrated where?  The answer is right there in the question  ....MARKET......That is a topic for further debate.

I will get  off my soapbox for now  

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#3 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:37 AM

Nothing wrong at all  with ambition  that results in financial rewards or expanding initial resources  to increase turnover, profitability and growth, that is what constitutes free enterprise, progress and makes the entrepreneur a Billionaire or enables  the simple businessman to make an acceptable living. Striving to "get on" in life is not a crime, it is our purpose.

What is detestable is GREED, making money at all costs and at the expense of others, no matter what.

We have a good proportion of both these kind of individuals in society and it will not go away, it is ingrained in human activity since Homo Sapiens first stood up and walked vertically.

Just despise the greedy and admire the thrifty, determined dignity cannot be bought. That is all we can do. Even a tramp can despise a millionaire. Money can do lots of things, but if you are firmly set in your personal policy of respect, then it will not buy you.

I often wish that some greedy pig with a money complex had tried to bribe me in the past. Would I have taken it ? You`re damned  right I would have. Nobody in their right mind would kick the Golden Goose up the butt, would they ? Better to be dishonest and rich  than honest and poor.

The alternative definition of "corruption". = "To supplement one's income by associated business transactions".

Edited by yabbadoo, 16 August 2013 - 10:00 AM.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:24 AM

doing away with money wouldn't take away greed. Because people still want power and they still want stuff-they still want to get something for something. Im not just going to give you a brand new truck, I want something in return for it. Thats normal. So if they took away what we consider money, people would just replace it with something else. Whether its bartering corn, or bullets or cars, something, would be "money" money just makes bartering easier.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 jcta79

jcta79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:22 AM

I totally agree with you the_patriot11. If you was to take money away people will find something to substitute it with something else. I see you from Wyoming, I was stationed in Cheyenne for like 5 years and some change. 

#6 -Psychopath-

-Psychopath-

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:59 PM

I think the true value of money varies between people. In the right hands, money can be a fantastic tool. It can bring much joy to individuals and much good to the world. I think it can be a simple alternative to actually trading.

I've always thought that it might be nice to actually trade time for commodities. It might be more fair to live life this way. But then who would decide on who owns what? Who would own the land of which you mine to get coal, metals and bricks for? It would be a tough system to start,

On the other hand, in the wrong hands, money can be the route of all evil. It can be used to harm individuals and the world. In this case, trading could be both good and bad. It too could be abused. Desperate people could be offered worse deals. But it could prevent wrong doings too.

#7 JeffyDurden

JeffyDurden

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:46 PM

Money gives us an easy way to trade for goods and services. Without money we would still have to trade for goods and services. I think that eventually another general kind of currency, like money, would quickly become chosen again because it makes transactions easier.

Unless everyone had all needs and wants already provided for them, a common method of trade would arise again.

#8 lora777

lora777

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:22 PM

Money is power and power corrupts...anything that gives us one-up on others in any fashion, is power.. be-it being the better looking, the stronger one, the smarter one.. being a head or boss over one or a group,.. I've seen people that help out on game sites go mad with power running the site in the ground... We do not live in an atopia and never will until "He" comes...and that is for those that choose Him and not the world.. so it won't be for everyone, sadly. That being said... No matter what we are told..such as, the rich have tax breaks the rest of us don't, therefore we should take what is theirs (steal) and give to those that don't have as much.. That's a lie right out of the pit of hell, and we can see the fruits of it now.

My point is.. you cannot make everyone equal because anyone that has the power to give..also has the power to take away.. and they will.. We see it now, don't we? They take our money (taxes) and dispense it to themselves and those that don't work in exchange for loyalty (keeping them in power) and now the takers outweigh the workers.. and the system is irreversibly broken..because those in power now have ''all'' the power... It seems to me.. the people have sold their souls in exchange for the empty promises that were immoral to begin with..  such as - same sex marriage and abortion on demand.. just to name two. We got what we wanted.. legalized immorality.

Edited by lora777, 13 May 2014 - 12:43 PM.

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,294 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:31 PM

@Psychopath #6

I believe it is 'The love of money is the root of all evil.'

Money itself is one of the most useful inventions ever made - it did away with barter. If I want one of The_Patriot's trucks, all I have to do is turn up at his premises and hand over the relevant wad of $US - I presume he would be reluctant to accept £UK. But I don't have to worry about accumulating several hundred boxes of 30-30 ammunition to swap for it. Apart from the fact that, in the UK, that would really give me problems since I don't have a firearms licence !

Money is what makes trade work, and trade is what makes us all richer because it lets us concentrate on whatever we do best. I was a lot better truck driver than I am a gardener. So I drove trucks and bought my vegetables at my local supermarket.

Chris Cosgrove

#10 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,371 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:59 PM

I would like to see the nature of money changed, from being something that is (mostly) created by banks to primarily benefit them, to something that is created by the state primarily for the benefit of the people.

IMF's epic plan to conjure away debt and dethrone bankers

The section titled ''Government versus Private Control over Money Issue'' on page 12 makes interesting reading.

https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/wp/2012/wp12202.pdf

Edited by Al1000, 17 June 2014 - 04:00 PM.

#11 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,321 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:50 AM

I'm with the_patriot11, if money were to go away something else would replace it.  Salt used as money, hence sayings such as "Worth your salt".

Money only has the value that we give it.  If a sufficient amount of people would no longer accept a currency it would become worthless.  Look at Bit Coin, it is literally nothing, created from nothing, backed by nothing, but it will cost you $500+ if you want one.

What makes me laugh is the people hording gold for the apocalypse.  Should the world suddenly go to hell in a hand basket if you can't eat it or use it to protect yourself it isn't worth much.  Someone has to want it and have a use for it and gold won't feed you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users