Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to save the updated fiies of the antivirus software ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 evergreen1

evergreen1

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:31 AM

i have purchased AVG antivirus. i have been  updating it with the internet connection. now if i want to format my computer, i have to install the antivirus afresh and to update . more than a 100 mb files are to be downloaded for the first time. for this , i have to connect with the internet. the question is ,, can i save the present status of the antivirus so that i can install the antivirus after the formatting, then i  will have to update a few files only of which the size will be very small. thanks

Edited by hamluis, 10 August 2013 - 02:13 PM.
Moved from Business Apps to AV, Firewall, etc. - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:56 AM

i have purchased AVG antivirus. i have been  updating it with the internet connection. now if i want to format my computer, i have to install the antivirus afresh and to update . more than a 100 mb files are to be downloaded for the first time. for this , i have to connect with the internet. the question is ,, can i save the present status of the antivirus so that i can install the antivirus after the formatting, then i  will have to update a few files only of which the size will be very small. thanks

Not that I am aware of.

What you may be able to do is download the current version of the installer if you ever need to re-install AVG. Many software programs have a "generic" download and then you enter a key code to "activate" it. If that is how AVG works, then you should be able to re-download the latest installer that will be fairly up-to-date...you might still have some minor updating to do.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:12 PM

It's always best to download the most current version of the AV, as well as installing current updates...rather than what I believe you are proposing.  More critical than updating your AV...will be to go to Windows Update and install all critical updates.

The only way to transfer any program from one Windows install...is to clone that version of Windows, as it currently exists.  That's essentially what a restore-to-factory-defaults does...install a cloned copy of the system as it was when sold.

Louis

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 05:41 PM

FAQ answers from AVG pages on "Transfer Your Licence"

HOW TO TRANSFER YOUR LICENCE

To transfer your AVG licence from your old computer to a new one, please follow these steps:
NOTE : First, uninstall AVG from the old computer:

1 .For Windows XP: on the taskbar, click Start -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs. Locate the AVG entry and double click to uninstall.
2 .For Windows Vista/7: on the taskbar, click Start -> Control Panel -> Programs and Features. Locate the AVG entry and double click to uninstall.
3 .Follow the uninstallation wizard.
Now install AVG on the new computer:
Please note, before installing AVG, ensure any existing anti-virus software is removed from your computer.

1.Go to the AVG download page for the latest installation file.

• Click the name of the AVG edition you have purchased.
  • Click the orange Download button.
  • If you are asked, please save the file to your computer.
  • We recommend you to save the file on your Desktop.

2.Double-click the downloaded AVG installation file on your Desktop.

3.Follow the installation wizard.

4.When prompted, use the copy & paste method in FAQ 3 to enter your AVG License Number.

You can find more detailed installation instructions (including screenshots) in the AVG Installation Guide .

AVG 2013 should now be successfully installed and protecting your computer.

•If the installation was not successful, refer to FAQ 4 for help with common issues.
•You can also contact AVG Customer Services for help installing AVG.

(They are generally free, but may charge you up to $14.99 to fully remote install)

#5 evergreen1

evergreen1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:08 PM

thanks a lot for the suggestions. as suggested making a clone of the present status of the computer is the best way. what i was thinking ,i could install the av from the cd which i have. then after adding the licence key, i have to update the av which is a time consuming process( my internet connection is slow). if i could have only the updated part in a usb stick or any other removable media, (which i would save before the format is being done)i could easily have the most recent update.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:40 AM

The latest downloaded installer has more up to date engine and virus definition compared to the last AVG exe installer as already suggested.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users