Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.jpg vs .jpeg

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Moltres Rider

Moltres Rider

• Banned
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:14 AM

Google is NOT getting me anywhere!!! what is the difference between .jpg and .jpeg??? I see images floating around with both extensions and renaming .jpeg to .jpg in Windows Explorer seems to not affect the image in any way or form... what is the difference??? why is the image still readable when renaming .jpeg to .jpg??? and should I be renaming .jpeg to .jpg???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:30 AM

They are the same file format.  Older operating systems could handle only 3 character extensions; hence jpg was used.  Since newer OS's could handle longer character extensions, jpg was upgraded to jpeg

Read more here: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_jpg_and_JPEG_files

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users