Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Duplicate Folder Names

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 elinatim

elinatim

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 21 April 2006 - 06:13 PM

I am operating a server with about 60,000 files. We have over 30 users and some of our efforts have been duplicate (e.g. we have 3 or 4 folders named "Forms" in various branches of our directory tree). Is there a tool or utility out there that will help me find all folders that have duplicate names?

I have run the "tree" command in DOS, but do not know how to print it. Even this would provide some help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 21 April 2006 - 07:02 PM

The regular search utility will find all files with the same name, or you can search for file types, i.e. *.doc

click on start/search/files and folders

#3 elinatim

elinatim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 10:35 AM

That's not quite what I am looking for. The search utility will help me find everything that has a known name or file extension. What I really need is something to help me find any folders or files with non-unique names. I do not know what those names would be. Even a printable file tree would be helpful (although I have over 60 000 files to go through).

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 06:47 PM

If these are duplicate files then at least some words in them should be the same - subject, etc. You can use search to find files with specific words in them.

Your original question was to find files with duplicate names, therefore you would know the names to look for by finding even one at a time using Windows Explorer.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 07:16 PM

See if this might help:

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_desc...id,25706,00.asp

Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 elinatim

elinatim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 10:01 AM

I am ready to close this forum, since the problem has been resolved.

Here is the solution: I happen to have a laptop with Windows XP installed, so I connected it to my domain.
Then, I opened a DOS window and ran this command: tree f:\ /f >c:\mydirectory.txt.
Finally, I opened mydirectory.txt with Microsoft Excel and reformated it so I could sort the data.

Over and out.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 10:25 AM

Great solution, and thanks for letting us know how you solved your problem, since the solution may help another member with a similar need in the future.
Thanks again,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 swissalps

swissalps

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 07 June 2006 - 09:04 AM

I would like very much to find duplicate folder names on one of our servers and would like to make use of elinatim's solution. But, I've run into a snag using the Excel's import feature. I cannot sort out how to set up the delimiter since the delimiting characters in this case are either vertical or horizontal lines.

It would be great if elinatim would document exactly how the Excel delimiting was set up.

Thanks in advance!

#9 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2006 - 03:32 PM

I don't think elinatim visits much.
Why don't you shoot him off an e-mail swissalps.
Just click his name.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users