Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Rig

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jcta79

jcta79

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:14 AM

Hello everyone,

I plan on playing the new FFIXV: a Realm Reborn. I  want to build a new rig, but really don't want to pay crap load of money. I was possibly thinking of no more than $700 for rig. I have been doing some research and can't really decide between intel or amd. I want some people's opinions on what to get. I would like to get a sli/crossfire setup but I can do without it. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:40 PM

Per the Publisher:

For the best performance you should aim to run the game on a system with at least these specifications.
Operating System: Windows® 7 64 bit
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5
Graphics: NVIDIA® Geforce® GTX 660 or higher, AMD Radeon™ HD 7950 or higher
Memory: 4GB of RAM.
Disk Space: 20GB.   

Looking in the crystal ball, I don't see a $700 system in your future.   My humble advice, look for a i5 4670K with a Z87 motherboard, and 8 gigs of RAM.  You can grab an ATI 7950 for close to the $200 mark after rebates if you pay attention.  Looking at it again, it might be possible to come close to the $700 mark depending upon what you want to upgrade.  A strictly CPU/motherboard/memory/videocard upgrade reusing your other components could very well be cheaper than your budget.

.....and no, I really don't lean towards AMD CPUs for gaming builds.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 jcta79

jcta79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:08 PM

dpunisher,

Thanks for the reply. I'm curious as to why not amd cpu's for gaming rigs? I do have a rig but its old, I have a dual core processor, 4 gigs of ddr ram and a 9800 gtx+ if I remember correct, which my brother is using. My laptop is alright, but can't play newer games on high settings. I have been shopping and for the most part the budget I had originally planned for is not going to work out. I guess I'll keep searching and hopefully come up with something close to it or just a tad bit over.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:55 PM

if you want under 700 bucks, your going to HAVE to go with AMD-and even then its going to be tight. Intels way to pricey. Theres nothing wrong with AMD CPUs, its what I use personally, but your going to have to have a higher end one-none of the low to mid range ones.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:13 AM

if you want under 700 bucks, your going to HAVE to go with AMD-and even then its going to be tight. Intels way to pricey. Theres nothing wrong with AMD CPUs, its what I use personally, but your going to have to have a higher end one-none of the low to mid range ones.

I agree.

Sincerely, Blake.

7 year Computer Hardware + Software Technician.

Operations Technician at a retail company.

Rhythm guitarist for the band Headspill.

:guitar: 

#6 AdagioBoognish

AdagioBoognish

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:06 PM

My humble advice, look for a i5 4670K with a Z87 motherboard

I think tigerdirect and new egg are offering these bundled, but even then the package runs around $500. New gaming rigs definitely aren't cheap. My budget is $950 and even then I'm having to make a few sacrifices to keep it close to budget.

#7 jcta79

jcta79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:35 AM

Everyone thanks for the replies but I decided to stay with my current laptop, it works fine won't play on ultra settings but its good enough for now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users