Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd 7B message with BSOD on a dual boot system

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Gswiss

Gswiss

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:59 AM

Basic config : MB Asus P5Q3 – SATA3 disks – 4GB RAM

Have been running dual boot Windows XP-SP3 Home and Windows 7 - 32bits for years on this  system I built from scratch.

A few days ago, I got a 7B message in a BSOD when booting under XP. Tried several times. Same result with Safe Mode and „Last good configuration“.

On the other hand, no problem at all with Windows 7. Runs like a charm.

Ran antivirus. Found nothing.  BurnIn Test shows nothing wrong.

Used the XP Installation CD (with F6 option for the ICH10 drivers). Installation goes on and when it gets to the end of  the loading of files, it displays a BSOD with the 0xc000000e.

Fell back on a cloned system disk, 2 months old: same result with the 7B message in a BSOD.

Any idea on what could be wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:13 AM

Well...unless you have each O/S on two different hard drives...running XP to repair boot files is NOT what you want to do.

When Win 7 is installed after XP...the Win 7 bootloader takes over.  It writes the boot files for booting both systems.

So I would try to repair the boot files, from Win 7.  I could use the Win 7 DVD or something like EasyBCD, matter of choice.

If you installed XP after Win 7 install...that's uncharted territory for me :).

Louis

I also dual-boot XP/Win 7.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users