Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mac OS X Mountain Lion problems

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kershawh

kershawh

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:42 AM

Sorry if this sounds a tad long winded

My used Macbook Pro was purchased from ebay with Mountain Lion installed.

There were no installation discs with it nor any Apple ID or password.

It was running fine until it had downloaded an apple update one night.

The  system crashed when attempting to install the apple update.

A grey screen appeared with the apple logo in the middle and the computer was unable to boot.  I tried to re-install Mountain Lion through the OS X Utilities screen but when it came to the Apple ID / Password screen I was unable to complete it because I hadn’t purchased this particular copy of Mountain Lion. The guy I bought it from didn’t know the apple ID or password.

I decided I would buy a fresh copy of Mountain Lion from the Apple app store so I contacted Apple support by phone and email to find the best way to go about this. They didn’t really know what the solution was and said they would phone back. I am still waiting for the call.

Basically all I want is to get this Macbook Pro up and running, by installing a legal paid for copy of Mountain Lion.

Incidentally I have another Macbook Pro up and running with Mac OS X version 10.5.8

Has anyone out there got any ideas of how this issue can be resolved.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Harry Kershaw

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tgdetjen

tgdetjen

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:07 AM

Harry,

The best thing for you to do is to create your own fresh Apple ID.  Go this site to learn how.  https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MyAppleId.woa/

Once you have created the ID go to:  supportprofile.apple.com

There, you can register your MacBook Pro on Apple's database.  You can find your serial number by clicking on the Apple in the upper left hand corner and get the serial number.

Once you have the Apple ID, you can go to the APP store and purchase Mountain Lion.  Once you have purchased Mountain Lion, you get 90 days free AppleCare technical support for your questions.  When AppleCare runs out you and you have a serious problem you can purchase help for a single problem for only $19.  It is a bargain and I would reserve calling unless you have a serious problem.

I would also recommend that you go purchase David Pogue's book, OS X Mountain Lion, the Missing Manual.  It is well worth it and chock full of helpful information about Mountain Lion.  I, too, have a MacBook Pro which I upgraded over the years from Snow Leopard to Lion and then to Mountain Lion.

The best of luck to you.

Ted

#3 kershawh

kershawh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:20 AM

Hi Ted 

Many thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately when you click on the apple logo in the left hand corner it has limited information and no serial number.

Regards Harry

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:59 AM

Which model of MacBook Pro is it?

I ask because this will affect things a bit.

Any MacBook Pro that shipped with Lion or Mountain Lion originally will NOT have come with separate recovery discs...they will only have the Recovery Mode, either by the Recovery Partition or Internet Recovery:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Even if the computer originally shipped with a pre-Lion Mac OS X and it has been upgraded to Lion or Mountain Lion, it will also have at least the Recovery Partition.

It sounds like you have tried Recovery Mode and booted into the Recovery Partition based upon your mention of the "OS X Utilities" screen. From what I understand, if the installed version of the Mac OS was bought through the App Store as an upgrade, then you get the AppleID login requirement that you mentioned.

If that is the case, then you will need to revert to the OS that was originally shipped with the computer.

If it was Lion (obviously not Mountain Lion...otherwise the Recovery Partition would not be asking for the AppleID login to my knowledge), then that will mean booting into the Internet Recovery option rather than the Recovery Partition. According to the following article, you can do that by holding down Command-Option-R until you see a spinning globe (they have a picture of what the screen looks like in the article):

http://www.cultofmac.com/106669/force-lion-to-start-internet-recovery-on-your-2011-or-later-mac-os-x-tips/

Once you are into the Internet Recovery, it should allow you to revert/re-install the OS that the computer shipped with originally (i.e. Lion) without any need for an AppleID login.

If it shipped with Snow Leopard or something earlier, then the computer would have shipped with separate recovery discs. If that is the case for this computer, it sounds like you were not provided with such discs. If that is the case, you will need to get your hands on a Snow Leopard install disc. Apple still sells them:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

Once you have the Snow Leopard install disc, you can wipe the drive and install Snow Leopard. From there, you should be able to buy Mountain Lion in the App Store and upgrade to it from there.

I will note that some pre-Lion Macs did get a firmware update that added the Internet Recovery option:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4904

So, if you have one of those Macs and the owner installed the firmware update, then you should be able to get into the Internet Recovery option even though the computer did not originally ship with Lion...I believe.

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:01 AM

Harry,

The best thing for you to do is to create your own fresh Apple ID.  Go this site to learn how.  https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MyAppleId.woa/

Once you have created the ID go to:  supportprofile.apple.com

There, you can register your MacBook Pro on Apple's database.  You can find your serial number by clicking on the Apple in the upper left hand corner and get the serial number.

Once you have the Apple ID, you can go to the APP store and purchase Mountain Lion.  Once you have purchased Mountain Lion, you get 90 days free AppleCare technical support for your questions.  When AppleCare runs out you and you have a serious problem you can purchase help for a single problem for only $19.  It is a bargain and I would reserve calling unless you have a serious problem.

I would also recommend that you go purchase David Pogue's book, OS X Mountain Lion, the Missing Manual.  It is well worth it and chock full of helpful information about Mountain Lion.  I, too, have a MacBook Pro which I upgraded over the years from Snow Leopard to Lion and then to Mountain Lion.

The best of luck to you.

Ted

If the Mac cannot boot into the Mac OS, then this path won't work so well as you need to be fully booted into the Mac OS to get to the App Store.

#6 kershawh

kershawh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:28 AM

Not sure what model it is but it has 2008 on a label underneath.

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:36 AM

Not sure what model it is but it has 2008 on a label underneath.

This should help you identify which Mac it is:

http://www.everymac.com/mac-identification/index-how-to-identify-my-mac.html

If it is a 2008 MacBook Pro, then it DEFINITELY did not come with Lion or Mountain Lion.

#8 kershawh

kershawh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:47 AM

I have a couple of discs I have just borrowed from my neighbour they are Mac OS version 10.5.2  they belong to his Macbook (not pro)

Can I use these.

Harry

#9 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:01 AM

I have a couple of discs I have just borrowed from my neighbour they are Mac OS version 10.5.2  they belong to his Macbook (not pro)

Can I use these.

Harry

Not likely.

If they are "recovery discs", then they will not work. "Recovery discs" are tied to the specific model of Mac that they shipped with. "Recovery discs" will usually have a solid color label on them (grey was quite common for a while). They will look like this:

disk.JPG

If they are actually "install discs" (i.e. DID NOT ship with the Mac, but were bought separately as an upgrade), then they might work...assuming that the MacBook Pro that you have was old enough to have shipped with Leopard (i.e. 10.5.x) or some earlier version of the Mac OS. "Install discs" will have the colorful label. In the case of Leopard, it would look like this:

17746650-1.png

Edited by smax013, 10 August 2013 - 11:03 AM.

#10 kershawh

kershawh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:29 AM

Hi

I really appreciate your in depth and knowledgeable help.

It looks like the only course of action for me is to buy a couple of Snow Leopard discs from Apple.

As you have probably realised I am not very au fait with Macs as I have used PCs for many years but I am learning.

Would you have a link to where I could purchase these discs.

Many thanks

Harry

#11 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:33 AM

Hi
I really appreciate your in depth and knowledgeable help.

It looks like the only course of action for me is to buy a couple of Snow Leopard discs from Apple.
As you have probably realised I am not very au fait with Macs as I have used PCs for many years but I am learning.

Would you have a link to where I could purchase these discs.

Many thanks
Harry

It was the second link in my original post, but here it is again:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

I will note that this is for the US Apple Store. If you are another country, then that link may not work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users