Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hi I need help and advice. Upgrading or Getting a new Machine

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 amcpanaligan

amcpanaligan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:17 AM

Hi, I'm new to the forum, I'm an IT student and I'm here to hear your opinions  because my machine it is not anymore giving me satisfaction on what I do with it. The last upgrade was around 2009 or 2010 I can't totally remember the exact year but not later 2010.

Specs:

Motherboard: ASUS P5KPL-AM SE - an LGA socket 775 motherboard with PCI-E DDR2 memory slots and has max of 4GB total memory.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400, clocked @2.66GHz

Memory: 2GB in total. 2 x 1GB, 800MHz

Video Expansion: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT 512MB DDR2

Storage: 300GB HD SATA

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate x86 SP1 (Just listing, I'll upgrade it to x64 Windows 8/7 to avoid x86's 4GB max restriction)

I/O: Samsung 19", A4 Input devices and an Epson Ink Jet Printer (Just listing, Doesnt even needed to be upgraded)

There now, I think I have listed all notable specs of a computer.

Applications I use: I'm an IT student so I use here SQL server 2008, MS Visual Studio 2012/2010, Adobe Products (e.g. Photoshop), Internet Explorer 10, Steam, and for games I play Dota 2 most of the time and lastly an ESET Smart Security 5 Anti Virus.

The problem I experience is that my Physical memory reaches 95% when Dota 2, Steam, and IE10 is running simultaneously and my CPU Usage never reach 60% even with all this running applications. While playing I cant even switch tabs as sometimes the game will crash. My video card is strong enough to handle Dota 2 with low settings.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I plan:

Since technology is innovating faster than we can imagine. I nearly think of 1 solution here.

First is to:
Upgrade my LGA 775 motherboard to LGA 1155 so that i3/i5 CPUs are compatible and has DDR3 ram slots (DDR3 is cheaper now adays). The reason is that I dont find my Core 2 Quad (2.66GHz) slow for what I process in my machine, I just think that the RAM is the only problem
Intel i3 is clocked @3.3GHz

Second is to:
Buy 2 pcs. 4GB DDR3 RAM. For a total of 8GB Memory maximum. Upgrading to x64 is also included.

Third is to:
Just retain my old NVIDIA as it can comprehend to my needs. I dont magnificent graphics.

I computed total expenses for the plan (intel i3 @3.3GHz/ LGA 1155 with USB 3.0, PCIE, DDR3 16GB Max RAM/ 8GB DDR3 Memory)
around 9000Php here in the Philippines or roughly equivalent to $209.

-----
last word: There is a promo here in the Philippines where a computer SET is sold for 14,000Php ($325)

here are the tech specs:

Intel® Core i3TM 3210 Processor (3.20 Ghz, 4MB Cache)

Intel DPH61HO chipset Motherboard

CPU-Integrated High-End VGA capable of gaming!

4GB DDR3 Memory DDR3 1333

500GB Hitachi/Toshiba Hard Disk SATA 7200rpm

Samsung/Sony 22x DVD ReWriter                             

Acer LED 15.6" LED Monitor Widescreen

Tommade ATX Casing with 500W Power Supply

Intex Keyboard and Intex Mouse

500W AVR

The offer is good. However. I need not to get a new I/Os / AVR and even a Hard Drive. The thing I need is RAM or maybe a new CPU.

----

THE LAST ALTERNATIVE OPTION:

All current parts are retained except the ram is Upgraded to 4GB DDR2. which will cost me 2,800Php ($65)

All suggestions are greatly accepted. Thankyou for reading upto here. Thank you so much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users