Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is changing my graphics card worth it?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 papandano

papandano

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:38 AM

Hi all,

I have:
CPU - AMD Phenom 9600 quad core 2.3 Ghz - http://reviews.cnet.com/processors/amd-phenom-9600-2/45...
MBO - Gigabayte GA-MA790FX-DQ6 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU - corsair tx850 watt - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
GPU - Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 X2 - http://www.cnet.com/graphics-cards/sapphire-radeon-hd-4...
RAM - kingston 800mhz ddr2 - 4GB
Monitor - 1280x1024 LG 17"
HDD - System - ssd vertex 4 ocz
- Data - 500GB WD black and WD 2 TB black
mATX case

I have enough money to buy either a new graphic card or a whole new system and use my old grpahic card..new system would be:
i7 4770K hashwell 3.5 Ghz - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
ASUS Z87-A LGA 1150 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
LC-POWER GAMING 975B AIR WING - http://www.pcaxe.com/vesti/hardver/lc-power-gaming-975b...
PC-12800, 16 GB, G.SKILL Ares series 2x 8GB kit - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
and GPU : MSI N780-3GD5 GeForce GTX 780 3GB - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I play a lot of games skyrim..gta 4...total war... ect... and use it for a graphic and web design.
i will be buyn a new monitor down the line, but for now i have enough for either a gpu or everything else.

my question is:

will my current gpu be enough to play new games and that i buy the whole new system 
or
will i benefit more if i buy a new gpu and use my old system
especially for gaming

p.s. i will buy eventuly whole thing..when i save enough money for the rest...

thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:13 PM

hmmmm   a 780 3gb-gd5 in a 4x phenom  over a CX 4850 in an i-7

I would seductively go with the 780 to fit in your current rig, but that would be pure heart, but would your case be able to fit it in?  would a 4x phenom use that 780 to its full potential?

Then, an i-7 using the 4850s.....wow, what a dilemma. You have some homework to do. I would research first the compatiibilities of those CPUs with the GPUs. The most powerful Gfx card would not do you the most good if your cpu bottlenecks it.

my reaction is the 780 has lots of future potential for games that will be emerging, but does your phenom processor with the 4gb RAM?

then, the i-7 has the future potential, but does your 4850s?

what about cooling apparatii in your case (s)?

Logically, I would get the new platform and stick with your cx 4850s. if in the future you should decide to upgrade you have some room  to let the market have time to digest the best gfx hardware for the money.

But as a passion and seduction, the 780 3gb gd5 is the latest and greatest...but these things change so swiftly.

this thread is going to get white hot once the globally originating experts get in on it.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#3 papandano

papandano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:38 PM

right now i'am leaning to get everything i stick with my old 4850... gtx will be bottleneced by cpu for supe...and i bet by a large amonut..maybe evene 4580 is by a litlle????

kinda thinking it would be a shame to stick a beast of a card in such old rig...

Than again..i was thinking maybe the CUDA colud boost up photoshop illustrator etc... but i doub it... 

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:22 PM

This has been my GPU upgrade history, at least the last three generations of it:  2X 4870 Crossfired- 6970 - GTX 780.

Normally, I would advise grabbing a new video card and leave it at that, but it just depends.  How bad is Skyrim slugging your CPU?  Skyrim is just one of those games that slugs a CPU and memory.  Most games, even with your vintage CPU, would be OK with a graphics card upgrade now while holding off on the CPU/motherboard/memory.  Does your Skyrim performance increase a lot when you drop resolution/eyecandy?  I know that the 4XXX series crossfire performance  is not the best (been there done that).  If you have a big jump in performance when you cut resolution, then I would lean toward a graphics card upgrade.  Either way you go with this, be it a CPU or GPU/graphics card, you will have a bottleneck.  I would suggest looking around for Skyrim CPU benchmarks and see what you are dealing with.  It ain't kind to older AMD CPUs.

As far as a GTX780, great card.  I have it paired with a 3770K at 4.5 and it churns through everything on high/very high/extreme graphic presets.  I would venture to say that a GTX770 would do the job almost as well, at 1920 X1080, for about $250 less, which could be put on a really good 24" monitor, or mediocre 27" monitor.  Compared with your present setup, it might make you feel funny in your pants.  Something also to consider, ATI/AMD is releasing their new 9XXX series in October, likely on sale by November/December for Christmas.  If you can hold off, then it might be worth it to see how the new series of  ATI offerings does.  They might be good enough to force NVidia prices down, so win-win.

CPU- I might consider a 4670K (which is a sweet combo deal at Newegg now).  Realistically, at stock speeds, you are giving up maybe 5-7% performance to a 4770K, overclocked little or nothing.  Once you amp up the resolution, the CPU speed becomes less of a factor as the videocard/GPU becomes the limiting factor.   Check which apps you are going to run, and see if they take advantage of hyperthreading.  If games are your main concern, a 4670K is a bargain that frees up money for other things.

I don't know how set you are on a 4770K/GTX 780, but if you can compromise a bit, you might be able to get everything now.  If you won't compromise, and power to you if you can't, then I would go with a 4770K/ASUS combo now, and wait a couple of months to see how the new ATI/AMD offerings perform, and more importantly, effect videocard prices.

Decisions.....decisions........

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:28 PM

i don't think an i-7 is going to bottleneck your 4850s or anything else for that matter, more like your 4850s will be fine with everything but the demanding games.

You can adjust your gaming screen size to something less than ideal like 1080p instead of 1600p for example ...and also you can set the game framerate buffer to high instead of ultra to get by. not the best but it will buy you time.

I am not the best expert, i am mostly an enthusiastic novice. 

My hardware is a joke...but an inexpensive joke, but for what i use it for the platform works just fine, and that is all i need to know.

My PC is a 2005 Sony Vaio rb-44 XP32 OEM. it came with a multimedia package and a p4 single core 3.2 ghz with 64 bit OS potential.

it came with 1 gb RAM, I upgraded to 3gb for a paltry $17 USD.

It came with a radeon x300 gfx but it crapped out, so then i upgraded to a $40USD geforce 210, then the 210 had a fan problem and overheated , so  then I  upgrade to a $50USD hd5550 so that i could get dual screens instead of getting by with the onboard video.

it came with a 300w psu, it shot the farm, so then i upgraded to a $50USD 430w

looking back, i should have just bought a new platform, but i just kept nursing this piece of sierra along, learning one step after another..

but now, it is what i have and i get by with it. the most demanding games that i play on it is pinball and missile command.

I guess i will know when it is time to get a new platform when this thing blows a major expensive component or the OS gets hosed up with a killer virus.

I want to get a custom build next time, not an OEM.  I think MainGear is what the experts recommend for a custom PC bundle

I like that you are interested in a SSD for OS  and a HDD for everything else. That is what the flavor of the month is currently

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#6 papandano

papandano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:33 PM

Well..skyrim runs OK on full settings becouse of 17 inch monitor so it's not a high resolution..but cant use hd textures becouse then it is unplayable... i'am a graphic designer... so photoshop, ilustrator..all will benefit from hyperthreding...and lots of ram... yeah i know...grpahic desing on 17 inch??? :-( but bigger monitor is in the plan for the next month...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users