Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low on memory

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Win7

Win7

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:27 AM

Every time I start my computer, around 500MB of my RAM is being used by something. I open task manager and according to my calculations, around 100MB is being used through processes (nothing is opened).

When I open chrome (my first program) around another 500MB more is being used (I do have a lot of extensions) but again, according to my calculations, around 200MB should be used by browser extensions.

I completed a scan using Malware-Bytes and it came back clean (apart from 3 PUP viruses) and it still behaves the same way.

I wanted to know what is using my memory.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:37 AM

I believe you've already stated the answer...Chrome (IMO) tends to use more RAM than any other browser when used.  Combine that with installed add-ons...and you have a suspect.

Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link to the snapshot.

Louis

#3 Win7

Win7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:49 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/1gSD5cmHma8SGuBmSNh3PxK

Even before I start any program, my computer takes about 700MB of RAM

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:46 AM

That's because your installed AV program and browser...run from boot and those two items are normally the two items that utilize large quantities of RAM, in relation to every other process running.  You can verify this yourself by just looking at the processes listed on your Speccy snapshot and focusing on the maximum amounts of RAM those two items use.

avgcsrva.exe           Memory Usage: 32 MB          Peak Memory Usage: 52 MB

avgemca.exe           Memory Usage: 8.20 MB       Peak Memory Usage: 10 MB

avgidsagent.exe      Memory Usage: 18 MB          Peak Memory Usage: 32 MB
avgnsa.exe              Memory Usage: 13 MB          Peak Memory Usage: 15 MB
avgrsa.exe               Memory Usage: 37 MB          Peak Memory Usage: 42 MB
avgui.exe                 Memory Usage: 21 MB          Peak Memory Usage: 22 MB
avgwdsvc.exe           Memory Usage: 20 MB         Peak Memory Usage: 20 MB

chrome.exe            Memory Usage: 95 MB       Peak Memory Usage:102 MB
chrome.exe            Memory Usage: 29 MB       Peak Memory Usage: 36 MB
chrome.exe            Memory Usage: 45 MB       Peak Memory Usage: 45 MB
chrome.exe            Memory Usage: 22 MB       Peak Memory Usage: 22 MB
chrome.exe            Memory Usage: 25 MB       Peak Memory Usage: 27 MB
chrome.exe            Memory Usage: 21 MB       Peak Memory Usage: 22 MB
chrome.exe            Memory Usage: 31 MB       Peak Memory Usage: 45 MB
chrome.exe            Memory Usage: 95 MB       Peak Memory Usage: 117 MB
chrome.exe            Memory Usage: 63 MB       Peak Memory Usage: 86 MB

Add in mbamservice.exe    Memory Usage: 60 MB       Peak Memory Usage: 197 MB

Throw in another 250MB or so for processes running via svchost.exe...and it's easy to see where the RAM is being utilized.

To be honest...I don't understand why you are concerned about memory usage.  It's not like money in the bank, there's nothing to be gained by it not being used.  It's function is to be used and...unless there are error messages indicating that you are trying to use more than you have installed...memory usage is of no concern, IMO.

When error messages appear that you have insufficient RAM for whatever it is that you are trying to do with your system, the solution is usually very simple...install more RAM.

You are running Win 7 with 2GB of RAMs, which meets the stated minimum required.  But, in reality, most users running Win 7 with no problems probably have 4GB or more installed....RAM is cheaper today than it's ever been, no reason to not install at least 4GB.  Again...you don't NEED 4GB, but it will provide a nice cushion of RAM that is just sitting there unused...which may be your intent, I don't know.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users