Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Messy Downgrade [No Network adaptor device detection]

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LasOz

LasOz

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:13 AM

Hello,

I'll try to keep this short and simple and answer questions as best as I can.

Upon someone elses' request I've been downgrading a Vista Laptop to Windows XP Professional SP3. With a Windows XP Professional SP3 installation disk I formatted the drive and installed XP in Vista's place. The install seemed successful and I was hoping to grab all nessisary drivers from the internet, through the built in wireless card in the system. However it didn't work, nor direct link via ethernet. After trying to install a range of different drivers I look in the device manager to see no Network adaptors at all. What's my next step?

Extra info:

• Why downgrade? The laptop was simply not made for Vista. The RAM was far too low, even trying to right click folders to access their properties would cause explorer.exe to crash. It was 512MB of RAM though oddly it showed up in Computer properties as 504MB.
  • The Laptop has a wireless flick-switch to enable and disable internet communication, with a light to indicate status. Flicking the switch does nothing now and the light is solidly on.
  • The only way to put data onto the laptop at the moment is through a CD-DVD. The USBs don't work, the Ethernet doesn't work, the SD card slot doesn't work. I fear I can only put data on, not take it off.
  • Hardware faults with the Network adaptors are unlikely. The internet worked while Vista was installed.

Edited by LasOz, 10 August 2013 - 06:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,997 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:40 AM

What is the brand and model of the laptop?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 LasOz

LasOz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:00 AM

What is the brand and model of the laptop?

acer Aspire 3680 series. I believe the power board has been fiddled with as the Power supply plug got the pin stuck in it. To my knowledge a new pin and charging cable was the result but those should be the only replaced parts.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,997 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:05 AM

From here:

http://www.acer.com.au/ac/en/AU/content/drivers

choose that model, then in the Operating System dropdown select XP 32 bit, all the drivers are there.

I've been automatically directed to the Australian locale, choosing Support may direct you alternatively.

Edited by Platypus, 10 August 2013 - 07:07 AM.

#5 LasOz

LasOz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:32 AM

From here:

http://www.acer.com.au/ac/en/AU/content/drivers

choose that model, then in the Operating System dropdown select XP 32 bit, all the drivers are there.

I've been automatically directed to the Australian locale, choosing Support may direct you alternatively.

Thank you! I'm currently putting the drivers on with success and will make a later post to confirm if I complete all the installations.

I'll take from this if something isn't showing up in device manager there is no driver?

Edit: It's all good now, works really nice, you may lock the thread if you wish.

Edited by LasOz, 10 August 2013 - 10:57 AM.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,997 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2013 - 04:23 PM

Glad to hear of your success, we normally don't close completed topics unless there's a special reason. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users