Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

frightened about my sensitive information being compromised after rootkit

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cygx

cygx

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 04:41 AM

link to my original post on the nature of my scare: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/503872/urgent-zeroaccess-trojan-regenerating-intrusion-attempts-am-i-compromised/

so in a nutshell, i found out a few hours ago that this garbage has been infesting my system for at least a month. i'm worried that during that time, the entire track record of my internet usage has been wide open for the eyes of possibly any internet criminal to see. this could be REALLY bad, considering that if there is anything that i can do with the internet instead of doing by other means, 99% of the time i choose the internet; my shopping, my bill payments, my planning of appointments...even my primary phone via google voice. the amount of both my and my family's sensitive information i deal with on the web is the vast majority of...well, all of it.

i thought i was taking proper security precautions...used Webroot SecureAnywhere for my antivirus which turned out to be damn useless, had windows firewall up (at least i thought i did), even used MAC address filtering just for another line of defense against people getting into my machine and my information.

am i really facing the grave possibility that all my sensitive information is out and about and being used or sold? where do i go from here to ensure that nothing is misused? do i have to cancel my bank cards? do i need a new bank? do i need to change my phone number, and get a PO box? do i need to change all of my passwords? anything else i need to do that i'm missing?

or am i being overly paranoid? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:02 PM

maybe maybe not. Its impossible for me to tell exactly whats out there and whats not-especially since Im not familiar with the malware that was on your system, that would be a better question for the person helping you to answer.

I can say, it would be a good idea to install a better antivirus and firewall- Avast! makes an excellent free antivirus while comodo makes a fantastic free firewall. If your willing to spend a little money and want a top of the line combination AV/firewall software I would highly recomend Eset

As far as online banking, it would be a good idea to reset all your online passwords and keep a sharp eye on all your bank accounts and credit cards for the time being just to be safe.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users