Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is this message about "Thank you for installing Block site"?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:56 AM

I just opened firefox, and suddenly it comes up with a web page that says from some wips.com, "Thank you for installing Block site!" and it wants me to agree to some terms about some addon I supposedly just installed? What is this? Is it a hijacker? How concerned should I be? I have never had a firefox addon install on me out of nowhere...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 03:42 AM

About BlockSite Add-ons for Firefox

Users review on BlockSite

Check on FF Tools menu - Add-ons, Extensions/Plugins and look for the BlockSite to be removed.

Tekken

#3 bludshot

bludshot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:17 PM

jhayz, do you think this addon has been transmitting all my browsing habits to this company for the last year?

To be more specific, do firefox addons update themselves, or would I have to manually do it?

Edited by bludshot, 10 August 2013 - 02:21 PM.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:42 PM

I don't use this add-on actually but it seems there is a claim that it collects information regarding visiting websites, to the extent, we're not sure.

To be more specific, do firefox addons update themselves, or would I have to manually do it?

There is an option for Add-ons update settings in Firefox Tools menu -> Add-ons -> crank icon on top right. More information can be found in this link. Very useful feature also is the plugin check site when looking on outdated Flash, Java and the likes. The plugincheck can also be found on the same Tools - addons menu, plugin tab top most clickable blue link message.

Tekken

#5 RealRaven2000

RealRaven2000

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:57 PM

Bludshot,

I saw the first complaint on this last Sunday and asked directly at wips' support website - it seems like it must have been an old version of blocksite which was disabled for a long time. As it was legitimately reviewed by one of our Admins it actually follows Mozilla's "no surprise policy" which stipulates that user data cannot be shared without opt-in consent. Apparently the page with the big green and smaller red button was just that. By default the addon does not transmit anything, it needs user consent. So no data has been transmitted. The main mistake they made is that it isn't very apparent from the site that an automatic update was carried out.

for more information on this please see:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2737553&sid=1a63bc3a15e86fbb52932e16ece21d8c&p=13016963#p13016963

In general, if you want to be safe then only install Addons directly from addons.mozilla.org as we have very strict rules about privacy - I have seen numerous complaints from addon authors who claim that it is so much easier to release chrome extensions, due to Mozilla's rigorous rules. Rest assured that if you can prove an addon to submit privacy relevant data without your consent it would be removed from the list in a very short time.

Axel

AMO Editor

#6 juliebjorn

juliebjorn

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:06 AM

Bludshot, I'm glad you posted this. The same thing happened to me a week or two ago; I opened Firefox on my Mac only to have a message the Block site had been installed, but neither my husband nor I had installed it, and I'm sure it's not one I picked up in the past. I had read about it, probably a year or more ago, but never thought it would be useful enough to want it on my computer. I removed it and forgot about it until tonight.

Tonight, the same thing happened with a different plugin, DuckDuck Go. It happened while the computer was in sleep mode, and when I went to "wake" it Firefox was sluggish and freezing up.

I don't know what's causing this, but I'm going to run a malware check and also make sure I'm not running something that allows for a hidden Java script to start wreaking havoc.

It's weird; weirder still that this seems to be the only place I can find anybody mentioning this happening.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users