Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive swap between old and new laptop?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 snoots91

snoots91

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:51 PM

Ok I have posted this on many websites and I havent gotten a useful answer yet. Last week my laptop, Dell Inspiron 1521 w/ AMD processor 32bit system running Windows 7 Home Premium, died. I was given my moms old laptop, Dell Inspiron 1525 w/ Intel processor 32 bit system running Windows Vista Home Premium. The laptop is nicer than my old one and it suites my needs, minus one thing... The 80gb hard drive that is at 64g after Vistas foot print. Thats no good for me at all. However, my old laptop has a 320gb hard drive! Now, to give a back story, my old laptop was given to me like 2 years ago from my sister. She paid for a copy of Windows 7 and installed it. When I got it I wanted to factory reset the thing and come to find out that there was no Dell Factory Image. The laptop was probably 5 years old and there is no recovery disc. I dont have any CD/DVD's to make one, nor is it in the budget to get any. So back to where I was, I tried to put the new hard drive in the computer and it loads and restarts and goes into Startup Repair. I tried running it and it still dosent work and wont load Windows, I would imaging that is due to the different versions of Windows. If I cancel the startup repair, it goes to the advanced menu and there there is the screen where it wont let me select Factory Image Reset because the option isnt there. It does, however, have me select one of my acccounts from my old computer and I have to type my password in to go to the advanced menu. Is there anyway I can put my old hard drive into my new laptop that dosent require a system restore disc? I could honestly care less if my stuff on my old hard drive gets wiped, but the laptop wont charge or turn on. A little help would be awesome thought since I have only gotten "Re install Windows 7 on the new laptop and use the code on the bottom to activate it" when the code on the bottom is for Vista, what the laptop came from factory with. Many thanks! happy.gif.pagespeed.ce.CM0PVFfCNv.gif 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,862 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:54 PM

<<...and I havent gotten a useful answer yet.>>

My tranlation of that is..."I received answers. but not the answer I wanted or wished for and I intend to keep trying until I get it."

Cutting through excess verbiage...I see it simply.

1.  You cannot take a hard drive from System A...and use it in System B...unless the components of those systems are exactly the same.  The drivers and settings will be different.  The processors are different. 

2.  You cannot use a license for one version of Windows...to satisfy product activation of a different version.

3.  You have no disks to install any version of Windows. 

Your solutions all point to buying a license/DVR for Windows...and doing a clean install, as I see it.  Alternatively...contact Dell and inquire about the possible availability of recovery disks for the model system which you wish to utilize.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users