Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Completely Subjective Question.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Boyo

Boyo

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 21 April 2006 - 04:25 PM

Unfortunately, Mom & Dad both have computers, and neither one of them has bothered to secure their PC or all of their financial information. Go figure......

So, I am in the process of cleaning up the mess (you will see me posting a few HJT logs over the weekend), and setting them up security wise. This is what I run on my PC:

Spybot Search & Destroy
Ad-Aware SE Plus
SpywareBlaster
Webroot Spy Sweeper
BitDefender 9.5 Standard (new version includes spyware scanning)
ZoneAlarm Pro

Now that is exactly what I am planning on putting on my folk's PC until I read another forum regarding NOD32. In this particular thread, everyone used and recommended it, and one poster went as far as to say "NOD32 has not been breached in over 2 years". I thought, what the...? Of course I am aware of NOD32, but if his statement were true, why have I never read any single review that places NOD32 at the top of the virus cleaner mountain?

Is anyone familiar enough to comment on NOD32, along with the claim it has not been breached in over 2 years. If that is the case, then I have clearly not done my homework on virus scanners as I have read and experienced for myself the virtues of BitDefender 9.5.........
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ @2.64GHz|AC Freezer 64 Pro|Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe|Corsair 2GB PC3500LLPRO|eVGA 7900GT CO Superclocked|SB Audigy 2 ZS|Logitech MX1000|WD 74GB Raptor|WD 320GB Caviar SE16|WD 250GB Caviar RE16 eSATA Mobile |Lite-On DVD/CD with Lightscribe|Enermax Liberty 620W|Lian Li PC7 Plus II

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 22 April 2006 - 05:47 AM

I've never used NOD32 but I've heard good things about it. It is supposed to be one of the most effective AV's out there, but has two problems: false positives and is expensive.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 Boyo

Boyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 07:21 PM

I wasn't aware of any false positives, but that is the last thing I need on my parent's PC. My phone would never stop ringing.....

BTW- Impressive rig....
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ @2.64GHz|AC Freezer 64 Pro|Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe|Corsair 2GB PC3500LLPRO|eVGA 7900GT CO Superclocked|SB Audigy 2 ZS|Logitech MX1000|WD 74GB Raptor|WD 320GB Caviar SE16|WD 250GB Caviar RE16 eSATA Mobile |Lite-On DVD/CD with Lightscribe|Enermax Liberty 620W|Lian Li PC7 Plus II

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 07:28 PM

I understand there is a 30-day free trial of Nod32. You might want to try it out and compare it, say, to AVG. One thing to keep in mind is the transparency of use. One antivirus (or any other security application) might be 40 times better than the other, but if the user interface is off-putting or definitions hard to update, you end up with an unused application on your parent's computer.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users