Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partitioning hard drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dmh

dmh

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:41 PM

I'm trying to load some older software on a Windows 8 computer with a 2T hard drive that, from research, I've learned requires a C drive that's under 1T. In Windows 8 there's an option to shrink a volume (control panel-admin tools-create/format drive-action-all tasks-shrink volume). If I shrunk the C drive to 800G (it's been defraged and consolidated and only has 300G used) would that work without erasing the operating system? How would I get back the other 1.2T for a secondary drive? The option to create a virtual hard drive seems to want a letter which that section wouldn't have.

I'm hoping to partition the drive without having to reload the operatin g system.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HetfieldJ

HetfieldJ

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2013 - 03:07 PM

Hey,

Dont worry, you wont lose any data on shrinking the hard drive. What happens it that it that the existing drive gets shrinked to the desired or available space. The remainign space can be used for creating partition(s)

So shrink the volume to 800GB, for that matter only 200 GB would also do, windwos 8 needs no more than 50 GB, and create a new partiton from the unallocated space.

Right click on computer > Manage > Slect the volume > Shrink > Create partition of the unallocated space > Assign a letter to the new drive.

Bingo! Your new drive is now ready.

Edited by HetfieldJ, 10 August 2013 - 03:08 PM.

#3 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:41 AM

In case you are skeptical as I was,here is a tutorial I used and worked great.

http://www.technorms.com/8438/windows-8-create-hard-drive-partition

#4 dmh

dmh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:43 PM

Thank you!! Worked like a charm. I was really worried that the operating system would crash.  As soon as I got the C drive under 1T the older software worked.

The one small thing that would have been nice to see, and so I'm asking if you had any advice, was that apparently the unmoveable files were right in the middle of the drive so it wouldn't let me shrink it below 950G. I'd hoped to get it to 300G but it wouldn't let me. I'm quite happy with what I have but is there a way around that aside from re-loading the operating system from scratch?

Thank you again.

#5 Judith1314

Judith1314

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:47 AM

If you worried about data loss, you can make a backup first, and then, use Disk Management to shrink C drive.

Another method is to try the third partition software free, it can extend/shrink partition in different methods. Also, it is also available to move partition or space to the location you want.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users