Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Active Partition not found

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TheNumster

TheNumster

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:40 PM

Hi everyone,

I got my hands on an old laptop recently that had been running (sigh) Vista. The HDD had been formatted, then wiped with Active KillDisk to completely clean it out. It had been working fine before I got it, but it had just gotten slow and was riddled with bugs.

When I boot it up now, it tell me "Active Partition not found". I did some Googling and tried adding a partition with EaseUS Partition Manager but this has come to no fruition. I don't have the original OS disks that came with it so I was wondering if:

1) the disk is usable at all?

2) Can I install Ubuntu on it instead?

Any help/ideas/questions are appreciated. I'm a relative novice with these things so dumb it down as much as you can please!

Edited by hamluis, 12 August 2013 - 03:33 PM.
Moved from System Buiding to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:32 PM

After you answer the first question...by running the hard drive diagnostic...you can asnwer the the second question you posed :).

Who is the manufacturer of the drive?

Louis

#3 TheNumster

TheNumster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:54 PM

Thanks for the reply, I got it kinda fixed today. I managed to root out an old Vista Business disc and it got me out of a corner. Had to download oodles of drivers afterward but it's mostly working. It's a Sony Vaio, I think it's not too compatible with Vista Biz as i've lost the use of the FN button but it doesn't bother me. Unfortunately the right-click button has let me down now, despite many different driver variations tried. It was a Toshiba hdd by the way. Tried Ubuntu 12, have to say, I quite liked it. I think this will be my 'guinea pig' laptop now for experimenting on. Thanks for the advice and pointers, got great info from this forum.

#4 TheNumster

TheNumster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:55 PM

OH yeah, and the battery is worth about 10 mins of use. Still, i've had worse machines! :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users