Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Internet connection on a different computer.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mike_K

Mike_K

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:13 AM

Hi All.

My computer running Windows Vista died. The repair place says it needs a new mother board. In the mean time I dug out an older Windows XP machine. Everything works except connecting to the Internet. When I start Internet Explorer I get a screen that says "the page cannot be displayed". I follow the instructions for checking my connection settings: Tools>Internet options>Connections>LAN Settings>Automatically detect settings> OK. This does nothing. I open the control panel and click Network Connections and the screen is empty. I click on Create a new connection. This opens the connection wizard. I click: connect to the Internet > set up my connection manually > connect using a broadband connection that is always on > finish. This does nothing. Help! I know I have an active broadband connection. I am posting this from my iPad over the same connection.

The computer is a Dell Dimension 4600, Windows XP home edition, version 2002, service pack 2, pentium 4 CPU, 2.80 ghz, 1.00 GB of RAM.

My Internet connection is through Comcast cable. I have a RCA modem and a Netgear wireless router. This computer is connected directly to the router using an Ethernet cable rather than wireless. Everything is connected the same as the Vista machine it is replacing.

What else do I need to do to get connected?

Thanks
Mike
HP a6009n, windows vista home premium SP2, AMD 64X2 dual core processor 3800+, 2.00GHz, 3G ram, 32 bit operating system, AOL

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zens

Zens

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:11 AM

Open command line and type ping 127.0.0.1

If you get replies then your adapter is working.

Still in command line type ipconfig

If your ip address starts with 169.xx.xxx.xxx then you'll have to release it to allow your DHCP server to give you a valid ip address.

Still in command line type ipconfig /release

Then still in command line type ipconfig /renew

That should give you a new ip address, subnet and default gateway.

I hope it helps.

#3 Mike_K

Mike_K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

Thanks.

The neighbor kid came over and fixed it for me while I was away. My ethernet driver wasn't installed. He use a wireless adaptor and installed what I needed. All is well.

Mike
HP a6009n, windows vista home premium SP2, AMD 64X2 dual core processor 3800+, 2.00GHz, 3G ram, 32 bit operating system, AOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users