Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 Won't Let Me Update

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Windows_H8ter

Windows_H8ter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:53 AM

I purchased an HP 2000 Series laptop in March and it's been fine up until recently. About 2 weeks ago it appeared that a Windows automatic update was performed and ever since, the computer's been erratic at best. I don't seem to have any problems offline, as I can run internal programs and view images/play cds without incident (occasionally I'll get a "Not Responding" notice with a forever spinning blue wheel). But whenever I go online the "Not Working" scenario seems to happen way too often.

I went to Control Panel to see if there were any more updates I might need and discovered that none of the previous updates were never installed. 7 in total, including:

KB2756872
KB2750917
KB2759768
KB2755094
KB2836947
KB2836946
KB890830

Thing is, whenever I click "Install Updates" while offline, it moves quickly but obviously stops due to lack of internet connection. When connected online and I click "Install Updates" the action freezes up, so I'm unable to get the necessary updates.

Also (not sure if this is related to the lack of updates), whenever I press Cntrl+Alt+Delete I receive the following message:
Failure to display security and shut down options
"The sing in process couldn't display security and sign-in options when Cntrl+Alt+Delete is pressed. If Windows doesn't respond, pess Esc, or use the power switch to restart."

I've performed a Windows Defender sweep and uncovered nothing with definitions up to date. Please help me if you can. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Windows_H8ter

Windows_H8ter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:58 AM

BTW, the computer came with Win 8 already installed. I've added a few programs like Open Office, Firefox, and Final Draft early on, but they've never posed a problem of any sort so i don't think those are to blame

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users