Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help with removal of iqs.exe

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mike_Hart

Mike_Hart

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:39 AM

Hi,

My name is Mike and I apologise for my first post being a request for help, but Please Help!

I have a desktop PC running Win XP Home. During the Java update that I did today I see that Java wants me to close two programs...

AirVideoServer.exe and

iqs.exe

The first program (great app, by the way) lets me play my videos on my iphone and I expect to be in the list of programs to close.

iqs.exe is unexpected.

A bit of Googling later, it seems that this is malware, and the advice seems to be NOT to go for a 'quick fix' download, so I'm asking here how to remove it.

Please can anyone help?

- Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:47 AM

You sure it's not jqs? Java quick starter.

#3 Mike_Hart

Mike_Hart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:56 AM

Hi .X.,

Thank you for the reply, and it caught me unaware as you were so quick!

Yes, on second inspection it does look like it's a 'j', but it's very hard to see. I've attached a screenshot of the update dialogue, and it does appear that the i/j does go under the line, so its a 'j'.

Does this mean that this OK and nothing to worry about?

Regards,  - Mike

Attached Files

#4 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:07 AM

Yes, you're good to go. You should disable Java quick starter in the Java options. It supposedly launches Java programs faster but it runs all the time. The less you have running the faster your computer will go. While in the options, you should also disable Java in the browser. Java is very dangerous and can get you infected. The options are in Control Panel, Java. Here's some screen shots...

rWaOw1D.png

fzQdlcQ.png

#5 Mike_Hart

Mike_Hart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:19 AM

That was great - thank you very much!

I have made the changes in the Java config. All I have to do now is to make a backup of my disk (this happening was a timely reminder!)

Cheers! - Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users