Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSH server port forwarding?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 noz03

noz03

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:46 AM

I'm trying to forward the port 22 for my ssh server I just setup but for some reason I still cant connect from another computer. I tested it on the localhost and it works fine so I assume I am setting up the router wrong. I set it to open port 22 on the ip address that I set as the static ip in ipv4 internet settings, (in this case 192.168.1.33) that is correct no? Any ideas why I cant connect?

There was also a section called port translation, I tried leaving it blank and also setting to 22 but didnt help, not sure what this is though.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:29 PM

A couple of ideas....

Do you have any firewall software running on the internal machine? Do you need to knock a hole in that? Can you connect from another computer on your internal network?

Port translation probably refers fo an abilty of the router to listen on a different port number facing the internet than is on the real server (for instance port 22 on the internal server but port 20022 on the internet)

The 192.168 number will be the IP address of your internal server - when connecting from the internet you need to point your SSH client to the IP address of the outside of your router. 192.168 addresses will not work over the internet.

x64

Edited by x64, 09 August 2013 - 01:29 PM.

#3 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:54 PM

Ok well I just spoke to my mother who owns the computer I am setting the server up on and found out she bought a new modem, hense my server stopped working suddenly... But I already opened the ports, shouldn't that be enough? I don't think replacing the modem makes any other changes to windows firewall or avg etc.?

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:28 PM

Ok well I just spoke to my mother who owns the computer I am setting the server up on and found out she bought a new modem, hense my server stopped working suddenly... But I already opened the ports, shouldn't that be enough? I don't think replacing the modem makes any other changes to windows firewall or avg etc.?

It could matter if the modem also has router function built into it. Some modems do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users