Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Full - How do I move data to USB stick?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 aprilia kev

aprilia kev

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:24 AM

My hard drive (XP) is so full the message pops up constantly, the cause seems to be lots of photos, iTunes and especially MS Office taking up space.

I need to transfer data or programs especialy MS Office to an 8Gb stick then remove them from the hard drive to free up space.

I no longer have teenagers at home to do this sort of thing and have very little computer knowledge myself. 

All the obvious things have been done ie disc cleanup etc. there is just too much stuff stored, there is not enough space left to defragment.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:16 AM

You cannot move programs such as MS Office to Flash drive because the program associated with data in the Registry and will be unusable after moved them.

But if you want to move photo or Documents or anything, go to search > All files and folders > All Hard Drives > in search box type in " *.[extension] " without quotes when [extension] mean extension of the files, example of use is :

*.png,docx 

this will search for all png pictures and word documents found on your drives. Note that extensions are separate with comma sign.

After you find your file, press Ctrl + A then Ctrl + X and go to your flash drive then press Ctrl + V.

Thank you.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#3 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:05 AM

You should not move your data. You need to copy it or you will lose it one day. Invest in an external USB drive and do daily backups of your data. By backups, I mean one copy one one medium and a 2nd copy on another. This can be internal hard drive, external hard drives, USB sticks, etc. It just needs to be in 2 places at once.

You can also use cloud services that give you at least 5 gigs for free. Dropbox, SugarSync, MS's SkyDrive, Google Drive, etc. Just Google them.

You can buy additional space if necessary.

#4 aprilia kev

aprilia kev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:46 AM

So are you saying that I must leave all the existing information on my computer and back it up elsewhere? A good idea of course but this does not help me to free space on my hard drive.

If I don't free up some space then pretty soon I won't be able to use my computer at all, are you saying it is not possible to free up any space? 

Is the solution to buy an extra hard drive?

Is this easy to set up?

#5 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,158 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:48 AM

Most of all External harddrive are already ready to use, you can buy it, plug in and move your data in.

If you are worry about data lost, you can move your important data to those cloud hosting metioned by .X..

Note : You can use multiple services.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#6 aprilia kev

aprilia kev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:13 AM

Thanks for your help everyone.

Am I correct in thinking that everyone is advising me to buy an external hard drive?

If I do this then do I have to transfer my old data to the new drive to free up space or is it just plug and play way to increase disc space?

#7 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,158 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:34 AM

I mean you transfer your data to new one. The way to increase disk space by plug and play is a bit complicate.

Thank you.

#8 aprilia kev

aprilia kev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:56 AM

So why can't I just transfer the data to a usb stick instead?

#9 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:00 AM

Since you have little computer knowledge & are on your own now on what you wish to accomplish, consider the following ideas:

--- I know I'll be including recommendations already mentioned but I'm looking at this issue in the sense of my opening statement

So that you will know, there is a difference between a program (such as Microsoft Office) and data such as a Word document and other documents

--- That means you cannot just move MS Office by copying and pasting but you can do so with the documents

On your MS Office program, which MS Office program do you have & what version is it?

------ For example, do you have Office 2000, 2003, 2007 or 2010?

------ Maybe Works, Word Perfect or another office program?

------ The reason I ask is because it makes a difference on which extensions to go by

--- I know you have mention MS Office, but I have had friends ask me to fix their MS Office issues but when I got to their house that is not what they had plus some of them didn't understand that there is a difference between MS Office & MS Works

--- I know .docx extension is already mentioned but since you have Windows XP that extension might not apply

----- Naturally there's always a caveat to bring in: maybe MS Office 2007 or 2010 has been installed on your computer but we do not know that

Your first and primary goal is to free up hard drive disk space

--- Your idea is to move data from the hard drive onto an 8 GB flash drive

--- Since you are new at this I would start transferring just the Word documents first so it's easy for you to see the results and have the experience of accomplishing that to begin with

--- As mentioned use your search function

--- For Word documents, search for *.doc,docx

--- Once the list is completed, press Ctrl + A

------ So you know what this means, all of the files will be selected, most likely will be highlighted in blue

--- Then press Ctrl + C

------ This means that now all of the selected files are being being copied

--- Do not close out the search list

--- I know Ctrl + X has been mentioned but as a first time user I would recommend not to do that yet before verifying the files have been copied over to the flash drive in which case you will be able to go back and use Ctrl + X afterward

--- Now go into the flash drive

--- Press Ctrl + V. I do not know what the V stands for but now all the files you have select will be copied over to the flash drive.

------ Another caveat: you might get a warning that such & such a file cannot be copied, do you wish to continue or something like that

--- If that happens, click on continue or whatever it takes to finish copying all of the files possible

After that verify the files have been copied onto the flash drive and ensure they are not shortcuts

--- They shouldn't be (I've seen it happen) but ensure there are not curved arrows included in the file names

--- If that is the case , stop what you are doing and post back

I'm planning on you being successful in copying the files onto the flash drive

Go back to the search list for all of the previously selected files

--- Hopefully they are still in blue

--- If not press Ctrl + A

Then press Ctrl + X or your Delete key

--- Another caveat: some files might not be deletable and be reported as system files

--- In your case I would not delete any system files

----- Just delete whatever you can

I know this seems like a lot but I'm hoping the experience will help you in seeing what's going on

Then you can move on to further documents such as Excel, Powerpoint or what ever else you have

Then do your pictures, they have different extensions such as .jpg, jpeg. and more

I don't know about your iTunes. Someone else can help you on that

On the hard drive backups etc, let's cover that after you have moved all of the files you wanted

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:18 AM

What size is the hdd that you need to move files from....in GBs? 

How many GBs of files do you want to move to an external drive?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#11 Judith1314

Judith1314

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:52 PM

Since you want to free up space, why not use the third partition software to directly extend the partition?

#12 aprilia kev

aprilia kev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:15 AM

Thanks for the suggestion Judith but I have absolutely no idea what that entails.

CMPTRGY/BUDDY215 - How do I find out the size of my HD?

After using disc cleanup and removing all the programs I dare, there are 219Mb free.

I have MS Office Pro Plus 2010 taking up 894Mb, a local repairer put this on  after I had unknowingly removed a program trying to free upspace 2 years ago, I have no disc but he downloaded it legitimately I have the reg. code.

I could  just remove it but occasionally my wife has to use it to print out documents for her business.

I really would like to resolve this myself but each answer just asks more questions, I assume that I either have to remove MS Office or add an external hard drive, this I would do but I am not sure how to accomplish it .

Sorry if I come across as hopeless, I am pretty smart with cars and machinery, run my own business and play music semi pro, I just have no IT experience.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,568 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:07 AM

You are not hopeless :) and before a good suggestion can be made...we need more data about the system.  We cammpt see what you see and it will help if we have an idea of what you are facing.

FWIW:  Microsoft Office itself is not that large...but the products used (the data files) can take up a lot of valuable real estate.

If possible...go Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Take a screenshot so that we can see the contents, post the screen in your next post.

See the last post by Andrew at How To Capture And Edit A Screen Shot. - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43088.html . of upi cammpt do this or still have questions, please let us know.

Louis

#14 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:28 AM

That is a full hdd!

You need 15% or more of free space to defrag.

You should have a backup for when the hdd fails......which they all do eventually.

Here is a link to a web page that gives simple instructions for moving files to an external drive.

Just scroll down to the XP instructions.

Copying Files to a USB Drive or External Hard Drive - Technology Help - Boston College

You could clone your hdd to a larger drive and replace the smaller one. But that is probably

a bit too involved for you.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#15 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:50 PM

I would like to know the size of the hard drive also as Hamluis has requested

buddy215 has posted a nice easy to follow set of instructions on how to copy & paste files from the hard drive onto the flash drive

Check out the My documents & My Pictures folders for starters

--- When you are ready to do your iTunes post back on that

------ I do not have iTunes so someone else will have to help you on that

On the easy to follow link on how to copy & paste files from the hard drive onto the flash drive you are told to right click on a file in order to copy it and then paste it into the flash drive

--- That will allow you to do only one file at a time

------ Do one to see how it works

------ If successful, you can go back to the hard drive and then delete it off the hard drive once you know the file is correctly pasted in the flash drive

Then consider trying to do more than one file at a time

---- Start by doing 5 files all at once

------- Hold down the Ctrl key and keep it held down, left click on the first file you want to copy, then a 2nd one, 3rd, 4th & 5th one. Each file's icon will become highlighted in blue. Let go of the mouse. Let go of the Ctrl key. All 5 files that have been selected should still be highlighted in blue

------ Press Ctrl + C to copy the 5 files

------ Go into the flash drive and left click into any white space

------ Press Ctrl + V to paste the 5 additional files

------ The 5 additional files will now be in the flash drive

Once you get the procedure where you know it works, you can work on more files at a time, 10, 20 even more but be careful about trying to do too many at a time

--- Just take the time to know what you are doing so you can delete the copied ones off the hard drive as you go along

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users