Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flash Player conflicts with '98.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DonaldJ

DonaldJ

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 02 April 2006 - 01:09 AM

I wrote a thread for novice computer people with computer troubles...

If you are having troubles with W98 and W98se, this thread might give you the tips you need to get out of the muck... http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/board/viewtopic.php?t=52248

Please tell me if you find any errors in it.. and I will immediately correct them.

One silly little thing that I just discovered today, about freeze up problems...

I am running W98se, in an old Compaq desktop, and old Compaq
notebook... The last three formats and reloads I did, didn't
start having shutdown and freeze-up problems until I installed a
flash player... I uninstalled the flash player.. and all the
freeze-up glitches went with it... Maybe the "state of the art"
flashplayer is too powerful a software for the old W98 system...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 willmon18

willmon18

• Deactivated
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 01:52 PM

What is the the specifications of your laptop. Because if they are really low like below 500mhz for a processor speed and below 128mbs of ram then the flash player could be glitchy or not even work. If you could give me more info and the specific thing that happens I could tell you the problem. But as far as the flash player being too powerful for the windows 98 then that would be incorrect. For further information look at this http://www.macromedia.com/software/flashpl...nfo/systemreqs/ this describes the least of what you need to use the flash player.
William Montgomery Walters

#3 DonaldJ

DonaldJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 11:24 PM

Both Compact notebook and desktop are about 7 years old.. a bit small, and slow.. but my system keeps them running fast and snappy...

When I install anything Macromedia, in either PC, the machine slows down about 5 to 10 percent.. and every hour the PC freezes-up.. and must be hard started... It's as if Macromedia stuff is full of links that act like spyware trojans, which are infamous for slowing down computers.. and some of them for causing troublesome glitches...

With Macromedia in my PC, something tried to wake the HD every 15-minutes... I removed all the Macromedia stuff, and that wake-up thing vanished, and the PC is back to its normal perky fast operating, without any freeze up glitches.... I don't need anything Macromedia sells.. and I surely don't need my slow computer running slower, just for installing an advertisement viewing software... Macromedia should check out how much their software slows a user's PC.. and fix the problem, by inventing trojans that don't slow people's computers... Spyware crap is what's giving the Internet a bad smell and taste... The advertising industry has taken advertising to the top, and maintains it there... It's like every time the advertising industry tries to touch me, it always at full throttle... I and others build sales resistance by defending our spirits from the advertising industry's blatant over the top attacks to our emotions and senses... What Macromedia did to my machine was way over the top.. but never again!

The thing is, most PC's out there, in hell, are running W98.. and the fact is that Macromedia stuff messes up the W98 system... I know dozens of folks who removed Macromedia from their PC's, and suddenly their computer troubles vanished...

I have done everything to make this PC run as fast as it can... I do not want things in it that slow it down...

I wish I had have realized long ago how bad Macromedia was for my PC's... I could have saved me tons of grief... Now that I know the culprit, I wouldn't touch anything Macromedia with even a ten-foot pole... Their overly aggressive software wasted at least a two-hundred of my life's precious hours.. and made trying to keep this computer running smooth, an impossibility...

#4 willmon18

willmon18

• Deactivated
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 11:39 PM

Sorry you feel this way about macromedia. But it is very wrong of what you are saying about there products. I believe that your computer since it is 7 years old that it does not have the requirements for the macromedia flash player. What flash player is, is a program that is required to view certain things on websites without it you can not view those things. As well as certain games need it. The game was made with flash and is required to play it. And as you saying you are sure millions uninstall macromedias products from thier computer you are very wrong. Macromedia is the #1 required software for most anything on the web. Their software allows people to play games that require their software. For example www.candystand.com they require you to have Macromedia shockwave player. Without this the game can not load. As I can tell from the way you described it your computer goes slow after you install it and when you uninstall it goes slow. Besides the fact that your computer is slow possibablly you have a virus or spyware that becomes active when you install the flash player. I have had this happen before and to fix the problem why not try downloading Ad-Aware personal for free at www.lavasoft.com and this should help. And I am sure that it would not hurt to try out some virus software. I would recommend Zone Alarm Security Suite but your computer seems not to be able to handle high powered things as you said for yourself. Now tell me how things work out once you get Ad-Aware personal and do a custom scan on your hard drive(s). This might help a few things. Oh yes by the way the ads and stuff you are talking about are not made in any way by the Macromedia company they are made by people that use their software to make their ads and things possible. If it is pop ups you are conserned about then why not just get the google tool bar. And to put to good use of your memory on your computer I recommend you getting Windows XP Home or Professional because it manages your memory and puts it to good use. Never worry about running out of system resources again. It also has a cache paging file which helps you even further of having little RAM. Well this is all besides that if you want to find errors on your computer and fix them then I recommend you download a registy software to fix those errors that you may have. This should help you alot. I look forward you your reply on how much this will help you.

#5 DonaldJ

DonaldJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 08:33 AM

That's nice that Macromedia stuff helps people with their interactive cartoons... I got out of that silly time-wasting crap after I quit my job servicing and building coin-op video games... There comes a time in a human's life that they just let go of cartoons, and get into Life... I don't need Macromedia for goofy games, nor for irritating ads and animated presentations.. I don't play interactive cartoons, nor do I shop from the spider's web.. nor do I want PC slowdown softwares in my PC...

I dumped AdAware and WindowWasher for better softwares... This PC is running: a Router, BlackIce, Norton 2k, Spybot, RegistryMechanic, PC OnPoint, Cacheman Memory Restore, Drive Rescue, CCleaner, and a few other prime utilities working in the backrooms... There aren't any bugs in this PC... There was, till I got rid of Macromedia... I run find & regedit to delete all Internet links, after installing softwares...

As far as "ZoneAlarm".. ZA is horribly incompatible with Norton and Mozilla softwares.. together they cause glitches upon glitches... I use Mozilla SeaMonkey latest build for my browser combo emailer... BlackIce is the only thing that works with SeaMonkey...

And with all that.. after I installed Macromedia, the PC went all messed up.. Slow and Glitchy and left me wondering if I should just format-C to clean out the shid causing me all that grief, and start fresh with another twenty hour software environment systems reload... I lucked out when I discovered it Was Macromedia stuff messing up my machine...
I cleaned 'er all up, and she's running fast and smooth again...

Getting a brand new computer with XP sounds like a wonderful plan... So where do I get the free three-grand?... The local machineshop gave me this PC free when they upgraded to XP... Turns out the big connector was falling off of the hard drive...

I don't need Macromedia for anything.. just like I don't need to step on a nail, nor in doggie poo...
I've got this PC working just fine and fast... http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/board/viewtopic.php?t=52248

Edited by DonaldJ, 21 April 2006 - 08:36 AM.

#6 willmon18

willmon18

• Deactivated
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 01:21 PM

Well whatever works for you. I am happy to hear that your problem is solved. And since you run so much stuff on your computer that is the problem. Flash needs so much ram and it is in use by all of your other programs. So therefore you have to get less stuff running and you will be able to do more things.
William Montgomery Walters

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 21 April 2006 - 01:28 PM

These posts have become a topic of their own. I split them from the original topic.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users