Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intermittent Loss of Right Click

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ubiq

Ubiq

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:46 PM

Hello!

I keep randomly losing the ability to use my mouse's right button.  This means that I have to remember the 'ctrl + v' for paste, etc.  This is a hardship and I would like to restore my lazy button.  Also, some people in my house need my help now every time they have to copy and paste and it's annoying.
Two things have happened recently that may have contributed to this. 
A few days ago I updated the Windows program that relates to the mouse.  Sorry, I forget the name of the program.  However I didn't have any problems until at least 24 hours after that update. 
The second thing that immediately preceded the loss of the right click is a little embarrassing and it's what I think has caused the problem.  My cat walked across my keyboard, casually pressing just about every button as I tried to pull her off.  I know I shouldn't let her do that, but she's very stubborn!  The right click mysteriously returned today and has been returning at least partially and then going away every few minutes.  It's about a six month old mouse with a brand new battery.  I reseated the little usb thingie and everything else on it works fine. 
I know this has to be some simple little thing, right?  Thanks for any advice!

Machine: Toshiba Portege r705-P41, Dual Boot: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Ubuntu 15.04
CPU: Intel Core i5 460M @ 2.53GHz Arrandale 32nm Technology,
RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20), Motherboard: TOSHIBA Portable PC (rBGA1288 Socket)
Video Card: Intel HD Graphics Revision 2 1720 MBytes

Speccy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:27 PM

You should try the mouse on another machine first... Could just be a dud.

#3 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:35 PM

Hmmm...
Okay, I have to dash to the office tonight anyway.  I'll test it out.  It's been so good otherwise and it's only about six months old.  I hope it isn't dying, these things are like $30.
Thank you for the suggestion! :thumbup2:

Machine: Toshiba Portege r705-P41, Dual Boot: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Ubuntu 15.04
RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20), Motherboard: TOSHIBA Portable PC (rBGA1288 Socket)

Speccy

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:29 PM

This is a hardship and I would like to restore my lazy button.

?? I have only ever used Control + C to copy and Control + V to paste -

This action only fakes a second, unless you have a bad hand ??

Thank You -

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:39 PM

you big meanie. he just wants his happy button back. :hug:

#6 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:31 PM

This is a hardship and I would like to restore my lazy button.

?? I have only ever used Control + C to copy and Control + V to paste -

This action only fakes a second, unless you have a bad hand ??

Thank You -

Ha!  Yes, I actually do have happen to have some nerve damage from a car accident that makes me a total fumblefingers.  Regrettably, my issue with keyboard shortcuts is that I can't remember them!  Typing is actually easier for me as I have little grip strength for maneuvering the mouse. 

But even worse than my physical and intellectual shortcomings are the scary luddites I live with.  I keep writing those two shortcuts down for everyone and they keep losing the notes.  They ask me this every time they send an email!

Speccy

#7 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:33 PM

TsVk!

My mouse works great at work, so it is my laptop after all. 

Speccy

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:49 PM

Well, it seems your last update buggered up your mouse then. If you restore your system to before you updated it  (your mouse software) then everything should be fine and dandy.

Here's an easy to follow video if you don't know how... or you can Google it for a written version if you prefer.

#9 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:16 PM

TsVK!

Thank you for the video link!  It's seems easy and I had planned on doing it today but since I can't use my right click button I don't know how to "right click" on Computer in the start menu so I can create a restore point.  The key between 'alt' and 'ctrl' doesn't work for this and web searches haven't helped me.  Searching for 'right click without mouse' hasn't gotten me great results.  My knowledge of keyboard shortcuts (and good phrasing of search terms) is very limited.  :blush: 

Could I just roll it back to the previous restore point without creating one now?  It seems like a very simple thing, so maybe I don't need to make one now?  Thank you!

Speccy

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:50 PM

Yeah, you don't need to make a new restore point, just restore to a previous one.

Your Windows key doesn't work either? (the key between alt and ctrl?) it really should.Hopefully this fix will fix that too.. (you might want to print this out before starting)

1. Start in safe mode (hit f8 before the Windows logo comes up, go to advanced boot options and choose safe mode)

2. Once booted press tab then enter to open the start menu.

3. type rstrui then hit enter, which will bring up system restore

4. press tab once then the down arrow once, then press enter.

5. choose a point before your driver update, press enter, then enter again to make the system restore.

Let us know how you go.

#11 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:48 PM

Thanks TsVk!  :thumbup2:  That worked perfectly!

And it probably doesn't matter, but I did try to run System Restore without going into Safe Mode, but I kept getting an error message saying that an "unknown program", "probably" an antivirus program was running in the background and messing up stuff.  Obviously I rephrased that a bit. :unsure:  But Safe Mode did the trick and I have my precious right click and all my keyboard buttons back!  So should I worry about that error message?  I only have Windows Security Essentials running as far as I know.  :scratchhead:

Speccy

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:24 PM

Glad you're mouse is going again...

If I was you I would be concerned about a background program disabling system restore and the Windows key being disabled. It needs looking into, seriously.

I would open a new thread over at the "Am I Infected" forum, you will find people who specialize in it down there.

Good luck :wink:

#13 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:53 PM

Oof...I guess I better get on it before the semester starts up.  Thanks again!

Speccy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users