Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

email client that fully supports gmail filters

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:46 PM

Hi,

Im having trouble finding an email client that fully supports gmail. I have multiple filters and folers in gmail. I tried Opera Mail but it wouldn't synch and recognize my filters and folders on the gmail account.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:54 AM

Worth a look https://support.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/kb/thunderbird-and-gmail

Tekken

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:46 AM

Hi,

Im having trouble finding an email client that fully supports gmail. I have multiple filters and folers in gmail. I tried Opera Mail but it wouldn't synch and recognize my filters and folders on the gmail account.

You may have to try to find a specific "desktop" Gmail client. Such clients are essentially mini-web browser applications that ONLY do Gmail for all intents and purposes.

"Regular" desktop email clients are not really designed to work with Gmail as Gmail does its own proprietary thing. You can access it by IMAP and get it to mostly work, but some things don't quite "track" across the differences between Gmail and IMAP.

A "regular" IMAP client should work fine in general. It should have all the appropriate folders (what Gmail calls "labels"). As well, any filters you set up in Gmail should work find on the Gmail server side and thus "translate" to the IMAP client side (i.e. all the work is done on Gmail's servers BEFORE you download/sync with your IMAP client). The only thing is that you will not be able to edit or create filters on the client...you would need to use the browser to log into Gmail for that. Any filters you setup in the client would be specific to that client...although once you put a message in a particular IMAP folder in the IMAP client (either by filter or manually), it should be given the appropriate label in Gmail (if you went in by the browser).

#4 mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:36 PM

Okay Im encouraged with Thunderbird. But too bad there isn't folder/filer support like between Outlook 2013 and hotmail.

Update: Okay I read somewhere that even thou you delete emails in the email clients they still remain on the gmail server... I have used gmail for 10 years and Im getting annoyed.

Edited by mattdocs12345, 10 August 2013 - 05:03 PM.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

If when you download your email and you save them in the client you select leave a copy on the server as I do. You then have to go back when you're satisfied no email was lost or corrupted during the download and delete them manually from the web based service. The server does not see your deleted folder in your desktop client to know to sych and delete those ones in your deleted folder. Nor does it see the various folders and move inbox mail accordingly.

I weekly log in to Gmail and my other four email accounts and delete from the server those that are successfully in my client. I always leave a copy when downloading 'just in case' the download borks and I need to do it again. I personally don't trust download and delete from server in one action. But I know many who do.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:31 PM

If when you download your email and you save them in the client you select leave a copy on the server as I do. You then have to go back when you're satisfied no email was lost or corrupted during the download and delete them manually from the web based service. The server does not see your deleted folder in your desktop client to know to sych and delete those ones in your deleted folder. Nor does it see the various folders and move inbox mail accordingly.

I weekly log in to Gmail and my other four email accounts and delete from the server those that are successfully in my client. I always leave a copy when downloading 'just in case' the download borks and I need to do it again. I personally don't trust download and delete from server in one action. But I know many who do.

What you describe is true for a POP email account, but not true for an IMAP email account.

An IMAP email account will "sync" moving or deleting or even reading email messages between the computer and server. And it does not delete an email message from the server until you effectively delete it (this can mean "truly" deleting it or moving it from one of the IMAP account folder, whether the Inbox or some other folder, to a folder that is only locally on your computer).

Gmail is slightly special in this area as it is kind of its own beast. You can access it by POP or by IMAP. Even when you access it by IMAP, whether a message is truly deleted from the Gmail settings is a function of how you have the IMAP settings setup in Gmail. This is because Gmail's default mechanism is to "Archive" rather than truly delete a message, unless you adjust those settings.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:28 PM

Excellent addition. I forgot about IMAP. Thank you for covering that.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users