Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer detecting removable disks at start up

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 noobpc

noobpc

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:15 PM

When I start my computer, it detects 4 removable disks (f,h,e,g) but there aren't any. my hard drive failed so i replaced it and installed a new windows. At boot up, it detects removable disks as if they were connected, but nothing is...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:53 AM

Do you have a storage card reader installed?

#3 noobpc

noobpc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:11 PM

I should mention it's a desktop. At first i didnt know what a storage card reader was, but I looked it up. If you mean a slot to read sd cards and memory cards, my computer does that.

Could it be something in the bios?

Edited by noobpc, 09 August 2013 - 01:13 PM.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:47 PM

If your computer has a an installed sd card reader that's what you're seeing. It probably reads four different size cards and the computer sees it as four different drives. That's normal.

#5 noobpc

noobpc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:24 AM

i didn't have that before. it appears now that i have a new hard drive. back then, it would only appear only if i put something in.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,997 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:29 AM

Have you installed all the appropriate drivers for your system, including the motherboard chipset support drivers, and the driver for the card reader? Seemingly errant or "fallback" states of drive handling is often due to Windows using generic drivers that only provide basic operation.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 03:06 AM

At boot up, it detects removable disks as if they were connected

Is this on early boot up screen only like a dos boot screen detecting hard drives and peripherals?

Tekken

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2013 - 05:59 AM

Have you installed all the appropriate drivers for your system, including the motherboard chipset support drivers, and the driver for the card reader? Seemingly errant or "fallback" states of drive handling is often due to Windows using generic drivers that only provide basic operation.

Agreed - look in device manager - are there any yellow or red symbols? The card reader probably does not need a driver, but it could well be the chipset driver.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users