Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Latitude D620, wifi connection gone

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dragongirl

Dragongirl

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:28 PM

Ever since Holidays last winter my wifi connection has degraded daily, to the point of completely dropping me. And daily I fought with it to keep it at least connected long enough to do what I need every day online.Then 48 hours ago my wifi connection completely died. I went to a local computer store, not a big name store, just a small chopshop store. They gave me a step by step list to try and see what would occur if anything at all.

This was the list

Setup Netgear guest wireless network

Run Kasperky TDSSKiller

Run rkill.scr

Run MBAM

Run MSE

Restart machine and connect to the guest wireless network

Each scan came back negative. And the wifi only works in one single room, pretty much {in fact literally} sitting ontop of the router do I get a solid connection above 24.0 mbps, when normally I get 36-54 on average, and when in the same room as the router, I normally get 54 or better alone. But now. Nada, not even on the guest wireless network. I'm stuck in the room with the router to get online if at all.

I'm plugged in via cable now to the router. But  I want answers. I'm at my wits end.

The weird thing is, it is ONLY my laptop, my other machines work perfectly fine on the wifi network. it is just mine that disconnected and wont stay online.

Any help ?

PS: I am thinking my wifi card, a Dell DWLAN 1490 card is just old and needs replacment. But I was informed by the computer store owner that it wouldn't work. I was also advised against getting a USB wifi adapter as well due to speed not being the required item for what I want it for. I was also noted that the wifi atennae may be damged if at all.

PPS: I was recommended at another computer chopshop to extend my wifi network with a range extender that I can also plug into if I must.

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:34 PM

I think you are right; the WiFi adapter on your laptop is the culprit. Don't know why the chopshop recommended running multiple antivirus programs AND a rootkill tool -- very strange. Also strange that he would tell you a replacement wouldn't work. :mellow:  A USB adapter could work -- but you say you are worried about data speeds. How fast do you need the WiFi connection to be? Most of the newer USB adapters will provide solid data speeds, and are about as fast as the WiFi routers on the market.

Sounds like you need to stay away from that chopshop. :lol:

#3 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:47 PM

I hope I am right on that. Its really weird though, the closer I get ot the router the better the connection, until I go to youtube or an image heavy site and then it conks out.

As for data speeds, I want something with at least 48.0 Mbps at the very least. At the very most I can easily go with 54.0 or 76.0 Mbps. But I was recommended not to get a 150 micro adapter due to severely decreased data speed.

The wifi adapter is built it, supplied through Dell. I can't find it anywhere at this moment.

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:53 PM

Sounds like the built-in adapter's radio works fine, but when it comes to handling large amounts of data, it's no longer up to scratch. You should try looking on eBay for replacements. Seems like they have a few available: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=dell+1490

And yes, don't buy just any WiFi USB adapter. Finding something that can handle 48-54 Mbps shouldn't be that difficult. Hope that helps.

#5 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:01 PM

Grazie, you have been very helpful. And yes the built in adapters radio works to a point and then the signal disappears, I pretty much as stated need to sit in the same room as the router to do the heavy data needs.

Again, grazie. you have been most helpful

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users