Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spywareguard Browser Protection Alert? Warning! A BHO has been added!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MaMato8

MaMato8

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:12 PM

Hello,

I was working on my mom's computer. Adobe had not been updated (she was afraid to update it), so I had it update. I think it was related to plug-ins. After Adobe downloaded and ran, I got this message:

Spywareguard Browswer Protection Alert!

An attempt to change Internet Explorer settings has been detected.

Warning! A BHO (Browser Help Object) has been added!

The following BHO has been added to your system:

{18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3}

ProgID: AcrolEHelperShim.AcrolEHelperShimObj.1

File Location: C:\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcrolEHelperShim.dll

What would you like to do?

Remove the BHO                    Keep the BHO

So I am wondering what I should do.

Thank you.

Edited by MaMato8, 08 August 2013 - 05:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,313 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:26 PM

If it is Adobe Reader that you updated, the browser addon(s) are not needed. If you use the Firefox browser then

you can read pdfs in the browser without needing any other installed program.

You should be able to uninstall the addon from the add/ remove program. You should also be able to disable it 

in the add-on manager in IE. See info in link below if needed.

How to Uninstall, Delete and Remove IE Add-Ons or Extensions Permanently « My Digital Life

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 MaMato8

MaMato8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:43 PM

Thank you! I was concerned that it was some sort of virus or whatever. I don't understand addons. I need to read up on them. Thank you for your quick response!

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,313 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:56 AM

Happy to of helped.

The link I provided has some useful info on add-ons.

There is a trend these days that just about all free programs/ applications come with tool bars and other adware

that you either have to uncheck their installation during install of the free program or in many cases they are installed

without offering the chance to deny their installation.

There are a couple of programs designed specifically to identify and remove those types of adware/ browser hijackers that

other security programs don't. The one I've linked to below is quick and easy to use. You might be surprised to find what

adware is lurking on your computers. AdwCleaner Download

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users