Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

error 797 windows 7 Cannot Connect HELP Please

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Choadus13

Choadus13

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:40 PM

I am getting this error on a new refrb HP PC. I am trying to connect to broadband with a router. All the research I have done says this a modem issue. I am not trying to dial out, its broadband. Any ideas. I would really apperciate the help. Thanks!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:05 PM

This error usually occurs because the network card has failed. Suggested fixes include reinstalling the network adapter, updating the drivers for the network card, and restarting the Plug and Play service. There may be registry errors as well -- all of the above can result in this error code.

You say this is a refurbished HP machine. Did they replace the network interface card? What kind of NIC is installed? If you go to Start, right-click on Computer, Manage>Device Manager, is there a yellow or red icon over the Network Adapter icon?

#3 Choadus13

Choadus13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:15 PM

I cannot get online to update drivers. It will not connect at all. It is plugged directly into a Qwest wireless router. There is another computer connected to same router and that works just fine. This is a new refurb HP PC. Got the error 651 code before and I went in and changed the raspppoe.sys file to a new one. After that it still will not connect and I get the 797 error code. I do not know what kind of network card I have or if I have a network card? Any advice or suggestions would help greatly!! Thanks!!!

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,255 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:35 PM

Are you trying to connect using a cable? The network card is what you use to plug the cable into the back of the computer. Are you connecting using WiFi? There is probably an antenna at the back of your computer; the network card is what the antenna is attached to.

If you open your PC, you'll see the network card is literally a card that plugs into slots on your motherboard. The make and model of the card is usually found there.

I had suggested this earlier -- if you go to Start, right-click on Computer, Manage>Device Manager, is there a yellow or red icon over the Network Adapter icon? Did you try this?

#5 Choadus13

Choadus13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:46 PM

HP P4-640. Plugs directly into computer. I dont have it hooked up at the moment. I am at work with it and I have to unhook a working one to mess with this one.

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,255 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:01 PM

HP P4-640 is the type of processor you have, not the network card. And I'm not sure what plugs directly into the computer -- the cord? The WiFi adapter?

#7 Choadus13

Choadus13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:20 PM

The internet cable is plugged directly into back. Its a wireless router, but the cord from that goes into the computer. I opened the computer up and there are no markings or writing on where the cable plugs in. Its a very small silver box and thats it. Thanks

#8 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,255 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:55 PM

So you're using Ethernet broadband. I take it the router is then also connected to either a cable modem or DSL modem -- or the router is also the modem.

I would ask you, when you get the chance, to go to Start, right-click on Computer, click on Manage, open Device Manager in the left pane, and determine if there is a yellow or red icon over the Network Adapter icon. The error message you are getting usually occurs when the network adapter is not installed properly, or the drivers are not installed properly or are incorrect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users