Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System freezes before entering Windows in normal and safe mode?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jwmghf

jwmghf

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:53 AM

Hey guys:

My aunt gave me her laptop to look at.  Unforturnately, I can't seem to look at much because it keeps freezing no matter what I attempt to do.  It gets to the Starting Windows screen with the Windows logo and then the hdd light turns off and it's frozen.  Same with Safe Mode.  The startup lines start scrolling by and then it freezes up.  I tried to let Windows Repair try to do its thing and that also freezes on a black screen.  Not sure what I can do besides reload the OS? 

It's a Dell Inspiron 15 (1564) laptop running or should I say, "Not running" Windows 7 Home 64-bit.  4gb's of memory.

I am at a loss here.  Do you think it's time to reload the OS?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 devraj.preetham

devraj.preetham

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:12 AM

Try doing a Startup Repair on that computer...

#3 jwmghf

jwmghf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:18 AM

I did.  That also freezes.  It shows Windows is loading files then the little startup screen that Vista used to show and then the hdd light go off and it's a black screen??

#4 devraj.preetham

devraj.preetham

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:26 AM

If you do not have any important data to be retrieved.. I would suggest you to reload the OS.. If not use the Windows 7 Installation disk and ry to repair the OS... :-)

#5 jwmghf

jwmghf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:35 AM

No important info on it.  I am leaning towards doing just that.  Do you know if there's a way to retrieve the drivers that Dell keeps in a separate partition on the hdd??

#6 devraj.preetham

devraj.preetham

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:39 AM

Windowsw 7 doesnot need drivers as it automatically installs them for you . incase you need them, You can find it under C: Drive under Drivers folder or you can also find them under C:/Windows/System32/Drivers.. You can also find the latest drivers on Dell support site

#7 jwmghf

jwmghf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:46 AM

Thanks m8!!!

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:18 PM

It might be wise...to run the Dell Diagnostics on that system...before trying to reinstall Windows.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users