Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overheating Computers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DRIFT-O-MATIC

DRIFT-O-MATIC

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:47 AM

I returned home, from being gone on vacation for 8 days.  When I walked into the house, I couldn’t believe how hot it was. Before I left, I set my AC to 80 degrees; but it was a blistering 98, and over 100 in the room where my computers are!  I live in Florida, and my ductwork is in the attic.  The compressor quit working, but the circulating fan continued to run.  All the ductwork is in the attic; so it just kept pumping hotter and hotter air throughout the house.  The computer, that I kept running while I was away, was just racing like a jet engine.  I immediately shut it down.  It is a Dell Dimension 8300 desktop and is running W7.  The other computer in the same room is a Dell Optiplex 280 desktop running WXP, which was turned off while on vacation.  The Dimension is plugged into a UPS power backup.  The Optiplex is plugged into the same UPS.  However, it is plugged into the non-backup outlet.  After shutting down the Dimension, I turned off the UPS to help cool down the room, because many other peripherals were plugged in to it.  

After I got the AC fixed, I plugged in the UPS, and all of a sudden the Optiplex turned on, without pushing the power button.  Well, I thought it was going to blow up, because the fan was running so fast and loud.  It was way louder and faster than the Dimension, when I first arrived home.  It wasn’t booting up; it was just racing out of control.  It was really scary; so I manually shut it down.  I then fired up the Dimension…AOK.  No problemo.

I’ve repeatedly tried turning on the Optiplex, with the same result.  Has anyone experienced this phenomenon?  What could have happened, and how can I fix it?  Any advice would be appreciated. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RajathAtDell

RajathAtDell

Authorized Dell Representative

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:11 AM

Hi DRIFT-O-MATIC,

It can be annoying when the system fails to boot and the system fan runs very fast and loud. This could happen due to various reasons. I suggest you to reset the BIOS to Defaults and check if the system works properly. Start tapping F2 key at the Dell logo to load the BIOS screen.

You will need to run the Diagnostics by booting from OptiPlex Resource CD if the system completes POST. You may also check the status of the Diagnostic LED's along with the Power LED and for any beep codes emitted.

Please let me know about your findings.

Thanks and Regards,
Rajath N
#iworkfordell

#3 DRIFT-O-MATIC

DRIFT-O-MATIC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:32 AM

Thank you Rajath for your response.  The problem is that I can't even get to the BIOS.  The power button on the CPU and Monitor are illuminated amber, and nothing displays on the monitor screen.  The fan is still screaming.  What next?

#4 RajathAtDell

RajathAtDell

Authorized Dell Representative

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:55 AM

Hi DRIFT-O-MATIC,

Thank you for your reply and for providing an update on the status. An Amber Power LED indicates that the power supply is functioning, but the system is not processing data. I suggest you to reseat the memory modules and check if the system works properly.

Please let me know the status of the "Diagnostic LED's" on the back panel, if the issue persists.

Thanks and Regards,
Rajath N
#iworkfordell

#5 DRIFT-O-MATIC

DRIFT-O-MATIC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:19 PM

Rajath, you are a life-saver!  Re-setting the memory modules did the trick.  Thank you so much.

#6 DRIFT-O-MATIC

DRIFT-O-MATIC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:49 AM

Rajath, I'm afraid I spoke to soon.  The condition has returned, and I cannot get it to boot up, even after repeated re-setting of the memory modules.  I did notice, however, that my previous analysis of the fan that was racing out of control, was incorrect.  It is not the Power Supply fan, but the CPU fan that is racing.  Also, I did not see any "Diagnostic LED's" on the back panel.  Where are they located?  Please, advise.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users