Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Channel RAM

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Delta16

Delta16

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:31 AM

Hi, When ever I put both ram sticks in the same color slots, the windows 7 logo while booting freezes.

Motherboard : http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2800#ov

RAM : 2 x Corsair 2GB 667mhz DDR2

They do show up as 128bit in BIOS but then it freezes in the win 7 logo.

I have an AM2+ CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3 GHz Dual-Core

Why is this happening ?

Is it that the ram stick does not work in dual channel ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:01 PM

Qualified Vendors List (QVL)

Note: Due to AMD AM2+ CPU limitation, DDR2 1066 is only supported by 1 dimm per channel.

?

#3 Delta16

Delta16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:11 PM

Yes, but my ram are 667mhz so that note doesnt apply to them. 

Anyway, Today I bought a new set of Corsair XMS2 2GB X 2 (4GB) 1066mhz and they work fine in dual channel.

The only problem is that my CPU is AM2 and not AM2+, therefore no 1066mhz for me :( Its running on 800mhz

Can I combine 2 X 2GB Corsair 667mhz with 2 X 2GB Corsair XMS2 1066mhz ?

I think they will drop to 667 mhz right ?

Which is better all 4 sticks al together (8GB) @ 667mhz (i think) or just the XMS2 (4GB) @ 800mhz

Edited by Delta16, 08 August 2013 - 01:12 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:38 PM

When you run modules of different speeds the faster modules will always underclock to the slower module's speed.

Corsair doesn't off modules that are compatible with your motherboard at 1066MHz.  So those modules will not work with this computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Delta16

Delta16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:20 PM

OK thanks. 

So I should have chosen from that list which SpywareDoc posted ?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:56 PM

Or run a scan at Corsair or Crucial.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:53 PM

Or, you could just ignore bad advice.

When you run modules of different speeds the faster modules will always underclock to the slower module's speed.

Corsair doesn't off modules that are compatible with your motherboard at 1066MHz.  So those modules will not work with this computer.

So according to dc3 you are already running Corsair 1066 MHz modules that won't work in your system. Golly, but that certainly looks as though dc3 could perhaps be in error, With your processor, you won't get 1066 performance, but the modules will default to DDR 800. And since they are functional, don't sweat it.

SpywareDoc's suggestion isn't anymore accurate, because the approved vendor list is always limited and out of date.

The most likely cause of the initial error would be that one, or possibly both memory modules were defective. So, you don't want to re-use them; you want to return them for credit and buy a couple of more of those Corsair modules that allegedly aren't working in your computer.  Buying cheaper 800 Mhz  modules isn't going to save you much, and you might as well have the comfort of identical, compatible modules in your system.  :thumbup2: 

Edited by slgrieb, 08 August 2013 - 08:01 PM.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#8 Delta16

Delta16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:40 AM

So Which is faster - all 4 sticks all together (8GB) @ 667mhz OR just the XMS2 (4GB) @ 800mhz - in your opinion ?

Edited by Delta16, 09 August 2013 - 07:13 AM.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:17 AM

slgrieb

So according to dc3 you are already running Corsair 1066 MHz modules that won't work in your system. Golly, but that certainly looks as though dc3 could perhaps be in error, With your processor, you won't get 1066 performance, but the modules will default to DDR 800.

By your own admission the 1066MHz modules will not run at their advertised speed with this motherboard.  I certainly would consider this to mean that the modules are not working as intended with this system.  Both Crucial and Corsair do not list the 1066MHz modules for this motherboard, this is because they are incompatible.

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:48 AM

@ grieb I found dc3s advice both factual and accurate.

@op do you have a 64 bit operating system? because if you do not, then having 8 gig will do you no good anyway as a 32 bit operating system will only recognize between 3.25-3.75 gig of ram depending on setup. And in all honesty, if it were me unless you do a lot of multi tasking, I would just stick with the 4 gigs of faster ram, 4 gigs is generally more then enough for most computer users, and the added speed will probably be more useful then 4 extra gigs. just my .02 cents.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#11 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:30 PM

So Which is faster - all 4 sticks all together (8GB) @ 667mhz OR just the XMS2 (4GB) @ 800mhz - in your opinion ?

Once again, the best advice I could give you would be to return the 667Mhz memory, and replace it with the Corsair you are currently running. If you had problems with the old RAM, that's an indication that it is either defective, or incompatible with your system. It's unlikely, therefore, that it would work in any combination or configuration with your system. Send it back, buy more Corsair that you are already running, or return the old memory, and run with what you have.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#12 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:06 PM

@op do you have a 64 bit operating system? because if you do not, then having 8 gig will do you no good anyway as a 32 bit operating system will only recognize between 3.25-3.75 gig of ram depending on setup. And in all honesty, if it were me unless you do a lot of multi tasking, I would just stick with the 4 gigs of faster ram, 4 gigs is generally more then enough for most computer users, and the added speed will probably be more useful then 4 extra gigs. just my .02 cents.

Oh. please. Don't give me that Senior Members Circle the Wagons stuff. Dc3 stated categorically that the Corsair 1066 memory wasn't compatible with Delta 16's system.  What he said was "Corsair doesn't off modules that are compatible with your motherboard at 1066MHz.  So those modules will not work with this computer."  Well, obviously, they do work, and never mind his CYA post where he said,  "As I've By your own admission the 1066MHz modules will not run at their advertised speed with this motherboard.  I certainly would consider this to mean that the modules are not working as intended with this system." 

Already said, they just won't run at 1066Mhz. However, that's not the same as saying that "those modules will not work with this computer." As a Senior Member, I'm sure you understand the difference. And so, it's difficult to imagine how you  could have found dc3's post "factual and accurate" even with his revised edition.

Does Delta 16 have a 64bit OS? Maybe not, but I'm going with a likely "yes". and, if he can't use the extra memory, maybe he can just return it. If he only has a 32bit OS, than any arguments for keeping the 667 RAM are totally irrelevant. Let's summarize: Trying to integrate the 667 Mhz RAM into the system is pointless because it appears to be defective or incompatible. If Delta 16 has a 32 bit OS, it wouldn't be recognized anyway. If Delta 16 has a has a 64 bit OS, he should try to exchange the 667 Mhz RAM for more of the Corsair memory he already has. Which is working in his system. If the OS is 32bit, he should just return it.

WIFFLEBALL!

#13 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:18 PM

While we are on the subject, I kinda think it's basic courtesy to recognize that "@op" has a name: Delta 16. in Texas, we still usually address people by name. Must be different in Wyoming, I guess.

WIFFLEBALL!

#14 Delta16

Delta16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:12 AM

Yes I do have a 64bit OS, who would use 32bit OS with 4GB Ram.

Anyway, I usually do some multitasking which consists of some data transfers(slow due to slow devices like gps) and browsing with a lot of tabs while running some programs like MS Visual Studio and MS SQL Developer or Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator. I also do play some games.

I should have included that I have an SSD drive (Samsung 840) - I dont know how to calculate its speed to compare it with the RAM speed to check if the ram is a bottle neck or vice versa.

Another thing is that I have owned the 667MHz ram for about 3 years so I just cant return them :)  and recently I have found a pair of unused 1066Mhz and bought them as DDR2 is becoming a little rare and the ones left are expensive.

The 667Mhz worked perfectly alone, even the 1066mhz (running @ 800Mhz) are working fine alone - i still havent tried them all 4 altogether.

I just thought that I should upgrade the RAM as I recently upgraded to SSD , because when I researched a bit I found out that the lowest speed for DDR2 is 667 while the highest is 1066 (right ?) so I thought Ill buy a faster RAM which ended up as not compatible at 1066, my mistake.

I should have listed all the specs before, so here it is :

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3 GHz Dual-Core

RAM - Corsair 4GB 667MHz OR Corsair XMS2 1066MHz

GPU - Nvidia Geforce Gainward 8800gt 1024MB Golden Sample

SSD - Samsung 840 120GB

HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 1TB

OS - Win7 Ultimate 64Bit

Edited by Delta16, 12 August 2013 - 02:13 AM.

#15 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:55 AM

Crucial.com > GA-MA78G-DS3H (rev. 1.0) Motherboard

System specs as shipped by the manufacturer.

Memory Type: (non-ECC)
  • DDR2 PC2-5300 (DDR2-667)

• DDR2 PC2-6400 (DDR2-800)

• DDR2 PC2-8500 (DDR2-1066)

Maximum Memory: 16GB

Slots: 4

Edited by SpywareDoc, 12 August 2013 - 07:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users