Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Options, Advanced: Ssl/tls

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 21 April 2006 - 10:28 AM

Right off the bat, let me say that I am having absolutely NO problems accessing websites, secure or otherwise. I have a very general understanding of what SSL and TLS do. But I was reading recently on another forum and then on Wikipedia about SSL and TLS protocols. The forum poster (and also Wikipedia article) made reference to the fact that though TLS supercedes & is an extension of SSL, the two protocols are not interoperable. Does this mean my browser should not have all three "turned on" in Internet Options,Advanced tab?. I currently DO have all three items checked to "use". And as previously stated, I have no problems with my on-line banking screens or other secure sites on the web. In fact, last year I was having troube accesssing some websites (nont necessarily secure) and by checking TLS entry, that problem resolved. Or, with your superior knowledge in these matters, could having all three checked cause other Windows issues for me that I don't even realize are being caused by/related to these IO settings.

Below is my pc setup:

System Hardware/Software:

Dell Dimension 4700 Desktop Intel Pentium4 2.80 GHz
512MB DDR2 SDRAM
160GB Serial ATI Hard Drive - NTFS
17" Flat Panel E173FP Monitor
Radeon X300 Video Card
128 MB PCI Express x 16
48x SONY CRXX216E CD-RW drive
Dell 922 AIO Photo Printer/Copier/Scanner
SBC DSL 2 Wire Home Portal External Modem w/built-in hardwire firewall
Windows XP SP2 V5.1.2600 with Internet Explorer v6.0.2900
SBC Yahoo DSL Browser (modified IE)
Yahoo mail client
Java JRE v1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_06-b05)
FlashPlayer 8 (updated 4/12/06)
SpywareBlaster v3.5.1
SpywareGuard v2.2.0
Spybot Search & Destroy (Teatimer on)
IE-Spyad
Ewido 3.5 Free (EwidoGuard still on)
Adaware SE 1.06r1 Free (on demand)
CCleaner v1.28.277
MVPS Hosts File
McAfee Personal Firewall Plus v7.1.113 (WinXP Firewall OFF!)
Avast!4.7 Free Home Edition Build: 4.7.817

Any feedback from one more savvy than myself would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by buttoni, 21 April 2006 - 10:32 AM.

HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 11:05 AM

made reference to the fact that though TLS supercedes & is an extension of SSL, the two protocols are not interoperable. Does this mean my browser should not have all three "turned on" in Internet Options,Advanced tab?.

No, you should have all three turned on. They don't conflict. They are just security protocols with TLS being the latest. If TLS fails negotiation, you automatically fall back to SSL3 then SSL2 if SSL3 fails negotiation.
You're good to go just like you are.

Edited by HitSquad, 21 April 2006 - 11:06 AM.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 11:08 AM

SSL and TLS are all slightly different protocols that do the same thing- - - to secure a client-server bridge of communication by encryption. Now, which one of these protocols will be used to secure this bridge will depend on the server's programming, so you should have all three available to support the widest possible circumstances.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 21 April 2006 - 11:11 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 buttoni

buttoni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 01:53 PM

Thanks to both of you for such speedy replies. I thought, as you say, in this particular case, more is better. So I'll leave well enough alone. Thanks again. Really appreciate this forum. And as a former educator myself, I really appreciate you volunteers willing to spend your time educating the rest of us on pc's and their mysterious innerworkings. :thumbsup:
HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users