Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

With laptop lid closed and LCD monitor connected, laptop unexpectedly shuts down

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 chasraub

chasraub

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:59 AM

I recently started using an acer LCD monitor with my Asus K52F laptop, and am having problems with random shutdowns.

I've had the monitor for a few years now, but haven't used it much since I packed it in a box and put in storage for a while.  It worked fine before going into storage, but it now seems to be giving my computer fits.

So I have the monitor, external speakers through the headphone jack, and a usb mouse and keyboard connected. 

Ideally, I close the laptop lid, since I'm looking at the LCD monitor anyway, and go from there, but without fail, the laptop shuts down eventually.  No warning, no 'windows is logging off/ shutting down' screen, and no error message, except the standard 'Windows did not shut down properly' screen upon turning the computer back on.  The laptop shuts down totally randomly, which is to say, that it is impossible to predict how long after startup it will commit suicide.  But it does.  It always does, eventually.

I have run several virus scans (Malwarebytes, Microsoft Security Essentials, Spybot S&D, Combofix and rkill, none of which found anything beyond cookies) and I haven't downloaded anything since connecting the monitor (except maybe a flash update, I can't remember when exactly I downloaded the last one of those, but at any rate, I have definitely run scans since then)  Everything else about the computer works fine. 

I initially connected the monitor for playing games, games that I have been playing for years without problem (Fallout and Mass Effect, primarily)  In fact, once upon a time, I played these very games on this very monitor without problem.

Thing is, these shutdowns occur when I'm doing other stuff, like using Microsoft Word, or browsing the web.  I kept using the monitor, with the laptop closed, to be sure that it wasn't the games causing the problem and sure enough, it wasn't.

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium, which came with the laptop

The funny thing is, if I leave the laptop fully open, or ajar, even just a little, so that it's still technically open, but the screen/ display is off (totally black) everything is hunky dory.  That being the case, it seems that the issue is not the power supply, as I initially suspected.  And since I haven't had this problem since I started using the monitor, I can only assume that it is the external LCD causing this random shutdown issue.

This seems to be an oddly specific problem, as I haven't found anybody else experiencing this on this site (or any other site, for that matter) and any help would be greatly appreciated.  thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:07 AM

Go to your power options>"Choose what closing lid does", and see what you have selected.  It should be "Do nothing".

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 chasraub

chasraub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:57 PM

Yup, it's set to do nothing.  The computer doesn't shut down when I close the lid.  It shuts down some time afterwards.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:57 AM

OK, what happens if you turn off all power saving options?  Set monitor to never turn off?

I have to believe it is something to do with your lid switch as it doesn't act up if the lid is propped open a bit. 

You never know, it might be some undocumented "feature" ASUS incorporated for some reason.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:59 AM

Not really a solution to your specific issue, but you could just "go with it" and leave the laptop screen open and use the external monitor to extend the desktop and work with two screens.   :thumbup2:

Edited by smax013, 14 August 2013 - 12:59 AM.

#6 chasraub

chasraub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:37 PM

@ smax013  Yeah, that's one idea.

sorry for the respite in between posts, I've been away from the comp for a while

@ dpunisher I tried disabling all power saving features, and although this seems to have decreased the frequency of these annoying instances over the last week, it hasn't fixed the problem outright.

As everything still works peachy with the laptop open, I guess that'll have to do for now.  Otherwise, well, gonna have to buy a new computer someday...

thanks for the tips

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:12 PM

I've had this silliness before...

Are your power saving options set correctly on the Administrator account? As even if they are set right on your User the Admin settings can take over sometimes.

#8 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:09 PM

I think it either may be an issue with it overheating when you close the lid, or try updating your graphics card.

Sincerely, Blake.

7 year Computer Hardware + Software Technician.

Operations Technician at a retail company.

Rhythm guitarist for the band Headspill.

:guitar: 

#9 NOLAfan

NOLAfan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:12 AM

Chasraub, I've been having the exact same problem with my Asus. Same settings, etc. And this is actually the second monitor I've used, so I know it's a matter of the computer, not the monitor. I'd rather not have to leave the laptop open as this is a distraction to me and takes up a little more space than I'd like.

I'm going to try tsVk!'s solution to see if I get any relief there. I'm totally enjoying this machine and don't feel like buying a new one any time soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users