Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

3 minutes before W7 starts loading

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 helpful55

helpful55

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:50 PM

I am beyond frustrated with this. Bought this pc that has W7 Ultimate 64. I believe that it was upgraded from XP. I t all works just fine once it gets all started. The problem is that it sits with a black screen and the flashing upper left cursor for 3 minutes until it starts doing the normal W7 loading, which goes off smooth from then on. If I put in a install disc it will go to that fairly fast. My noephitism makes me think that (in order of likelyhood) either the bios can't find W7 due to a problem in where it is looking, the HD potentially has a problem or the bios is having a problem. I can't seem to get the bios to set for the HD to be #1 in the boot order, but when I disconnect the optical drive it doesn't help any. It has only onboard video and no additional cards of any kind. The repair options via system repair have done nothing. Do I need to do a HD test like chkdsk first or I have an install disc that I can use. What would be the options there? The only file or anything that would be a problem at all is the Office '10 in it. I believe that I can get the file to reinstall Office and I have the code. I can ultimately do a full reinstall with formatting if necessary. If I need to use the install disc exactly what options do I select?  What can I do here? Thanks to any one who can help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:47 PM

The black screen with the blinking cursor at boot usually indicates that the system can't find a bootable system. This doesn't quite seem to be the case here because you say that after about 3 minutes it goes ahead and boots normally, but it might be worth checking.

When you switch on, press 'F8' while the BIOS screen is showing. This will bring up either of two screens, both of which are 'Boot options' !  The one I am looking for merely lists your CD/DVD drive, your hard drive and removable drive. Use the up and down arrows to select your hard drive, then press 'Enter'. This screen is NOT the BIOS boot search sequence screen, althoug it looks similar. What you are doing here is telling the BIOS that it is to look at your hard drive for a boot sector. Your computer will re-start, and with a bit of luck boot in a reasonably normal manner.

As far as the BIOS itself goes - which you access by pressing either 'Delete' or 'F2' depending on what the BIOS screen says - the Boot priority order you set in that is not too important. Opinions differ, but I normally set it up so that the sequence is (1) CD/DVD drive, (2) HDD, (3) Removable drive.

If 'F8' doesn't work for you, then I would suggest using the Windows install disk to do a repair. Power up the computer, put the disc in, and just shut down again. Then re-start. It will boot from the Windows disc and you will be faced with the choice 'Install / Repair'. Choose 'Repair' and let it proceed.

If none of this fixes your problem, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 helpful55

helpful55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:37 AM

This is an Intel MB, D945GTP AAC97837-300.   Unfortunately more strange stuff. F8 brings up the safe mode options screen, and it also takes the 3 minutes to get it to respond to F8. Is there possibly a different way to get to the screen that you want?   It can be a pain to get it to do the disc. First pressing a key to the prompt got no response, next time it worked. It usually wont work, it just sits and a 3 minute wait then W7 OS. When I tried the repair option it gave me a message that was saying something about how the disc was not proper to repair my system. I have W7 Ultimate 64 (from the properties screen) in this pc. I have used this disc recently for a different install and it has all versions and in 32 and 64. I haven't been able to get the disc to setup again to recheck the exact message.   I also have a usb install that is Pro 64 if it's a specific version, so I set the bios to boot to usb first. I selected repair and startup repair and it said that it could not detect a problem.  The W7 shows as genuine and has a key. The guy that installed the W7 I believe has done these successfully before, but I wonder if something went wrong with the install. (referencing your boot sector ideas). That is why I have said that I can do a clean reinstall and format if necessary. But I would prefer to fix it in a different way to learn, and I can try anything that you want me to. I had noticed that during that repair that it said D: for the OS, but in Start>Computer it only has C, no D drive, so it sounds like there is no D partition.   I have tried going to just each memory card individually, no help.   This just seems to be having some problem in it's pre start up tests, but I guess not so if the blinking cursor means it's on to looking for the OS.   Could it be the battery is bad, it's not a new model. Thanks for your help Chris.

Edited by helpful55, 10 August 2013 - 12:38 AM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 05:06 PM

This may help, from the Intel web-site :

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-034306.htm

The usual sign of an impending on-board battery failure is your date and time resetting themselves to whatever they feel like, but they can cause a range of other problemss well. As you say it is fairly old it can do no harm to replace it - they're not exactly expensive.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users