Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JenniBC

JenniBC

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:07 PM

I sign into my admin account n it comes to a black screen with cmd.exe box. I used the rstrui.exe to restore & when its done it doesnt show the box where it says its complete. Instead it restarts an comes back to the black screen with the cmd.exe box. Why is that? Can someone help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:29 PM

Hi JenniBC

See if this helps to get you to where you can utilize system recovery command prompt:

How to use the Windows 8 System Recovery Environment Command Prompt

Regards..................

#3 JenniBC

JenniBC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:52 PM

Do those commands work? Ive tried to use "bcdedit/h" & it says 'An unknown command was specified. Run "bcdedit/?" For command line assistance.'

I'm also afraid to "exit" because I might have nothing but a black screen.

Hi JenniBC

See if this helps to get you to where you can utilize system recovery command prompt:

How to use the Windows 8 System Recovery Environment Command Prompt

Regards..................

#4 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:28 PM

Okay, not to worry. In the tutorial there are a list of commands. Firstly, try typing sfc /scannow in the command prompt window then hit enter. This will

attempt to repair any corrupt or missing files. This will take a few minutes please allow it to run.

After that please run CHKDSK C: /F then hit enter. See how the system does from there.

Regards.............

#5 JenniBC

JenniBC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:01 PM

Ok, I turned on my computer, typed in my pw to get in my admin account. I typed "sfc / scannow" and it tells me "You must be an administrator running a console session in order to use the sfc utility."

Okay, not to worry. In the tutorial there are a list of commands. Firstly, try typing sfc /scannow in the command prompt window then hit enter. This will
attempt to repair any corrupt or missing files. This will take a few minutes please allow it to run.

After that please run CHKDSK C: /F then hit enter. See how the system does from there.

Regards.............

#6 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:16 PM

Let's approach this to see if we can do a system restore. Possibly the easiest solution if it works.

You can run System Restore from a command prompt. Press the Windows key and "X", use the arrow keys to select Command Prompt (Admin) type "rstrui.exe" without the quotes. Use the arrow keys to navigate the System Restore windows.

See if this will restore system prior to the issue.

Regards............

#7 JenniBC

JenniBC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:06 PM

I press windows & x, but all that shows up is an x. I have a guest account, so from there I created a new account and made it an admin also, would I be able to anything about it from the new admin? Or possibly get any files from the old admin account?

Let's approach this to see if we can do a system restore. Possibly the easiest solution if it works.

You can run System Restore from a command prompt. Press the Windows key and "X", use the arrow keys to select Command Prompt (Admin) type "rstrui.exe" without the quotes. Use the arrow keys to navigate the System Restore windows.

See if this will restore system prior to the issue.

Regards............

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users