Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Control Panel

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ale

ale

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 21 April 2006 - 09:51 AM

my control panel is not responding, i have tried to open it through explore and just clicking to open.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 10:13 AM

Hi ale.
Press and hold ctrl+alt+del and click the proccesses tab.
If you see "Conime.exe' running, end the process and see if control panel opens.
Related Article:
Control Panel stops responding in Windows XP

#3 ale

ale
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 11:18 AM

This process is not running, and control panel will still not open.

Edited by ale, 21 April 2006 - 11:19 AM.

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 21 April 2006 - 11:32 AM

Question. Do you shut down the computer when you are finished or jsut leave it running in hybernate?

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 12:21 PM

Have you tried Start -> Run and type "control" without the quotes? If it doesn't start, something's damaged.

In that case, you might want to try System File Checker. If SFC needs files that are corrupt in your system's folder, you will need your XP CD in the drive so that it can restore files from there. If you have a restore disk, you may have to point XP at the i386 folder. If you have a branded PC with the operating system restore files on a separate partition, you might do a search for the i386 folder, or contact the company for help.

#6 Nate777

Nate777

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 04:52 PM

Well I tried what you said about the SFC and it didn't come up with anything... I also noticed that there is a spike in the CPU usage when I try to open it.

#7 Nate777

Nate777

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 04:54 PM

oh BTW I am helping "ALE" fix her comp i just happened to be logged in.... :thumbsup:

#8 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 05:51 PM

Did you restore the system using windows system restore from the installation disk? This happened to me, too. My SP2 system got corrupt, so I repaired the installation, but I used the original CD which only had SP1. I had to reinstall Service Pack 2 and all teh other updates before it would work. If that's not your situation, try updating your system anyway with Microsoft Update (better than Windows Update).

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#9 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 06:20 PM

You needed the /scannow switch with the sfc command.

Click Start, Run
Type sfc /scannow
Click OK

More info:How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files
JC

#10 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 06:55 PM

I've run into computers where malware had blocked several things from opening. After cleaning up viri, spyware, and the like, things started working again.

However, it's also quite possible that a .cpl file got damaged and it's a bear to fix. Tedious.

You might try to open a separate instance of a control panel .cpl file by going to Start -> Run and typing something like:

control desk.cpl

and see if that opens the Display Properties.

Is there anything else that won't work that you know of? Can you open My Computer?

Can you open Explorer? (Windows key + E key, or right-click on Start button and choose "Explore")

It may be time to post a hijackthis log in the hijack forum to check for malware.

Before you post, read this.

Be patient - lots of logs, few helpers - may take a few days.

Don't post to your own thread because they're looking for posts with no replies.

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 08:11 AM

Free online system scan (requires Internet Explorer) - http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

If it comes up dirty - follow Herk's directions to post a HJT log
If it comes up clean - try the SFC.EXE /SCANNOW command. If it asks for your installation CD, visit Windows Update immediately afterwards.

If that doesn't work, there's 2 (or more) options:
1) Troubleshooting the specific issue until it's found
2) A repair install of Windows XP (instructions here: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm) - this will keep all your files and settings intact - but will require that you visit Windows Update immediately afterwards for a bunch of updates.

If that don't work we can get into more later on.

Edited by usasma, 24 April 2006 - 08:12 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 24 April 2006 - 01:56 PM

Are you by any chance using Spybot?
If so, check to make sure Spybot isn't blocking it.

Open Spybot.
On the tool bar, at the top left, click Mode.
Click Advanced Mode.
A box will open, asking if you want to go to Advanced Mode, click Yes.
On the left, near the bottom, click the Tools tab.
Then on the menu, click IE tweaks.
In the panel on the right, make sure there is no check next to Lock IE control panel against opening from within IE (Current user).
If there is a check, remove it.
Close Spybot.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users