Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High CPU usage for no apparent reason

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 replica

replica

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:25 PM

A couple of days ago I noticed that my Windows start up process takes longer than usual (plus I can see a significant delay between when I touch pad and actual cursor move) then I saw a high CPU usage % although through Task Monitor none of the memory consuming processes were running (i.e. System Idle is around 80-90%). I run chkdsk but it appeared the disc integrity was in place. Verifier.exe didn't help much either although I'm not sure if I used it correctly.

Then I browsed Internet and found one post with similar symptom I have been experiencing for a while (my computer randomly locks up and has to be switched off by holding the power button down until it turns off) but it was no more than annoying thing I could live with: 

Service Control Manager [7026] - The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: SBRE. 

Now I can't watch a movie because sound is distorted and trembling due to high CPU load and everything is slowed down drastically.

I've posted Hijack and DDS logs in the different topic http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/503428/high-cpu-usage-with-no-apparent-reason/

but after thinking about it for a while and since I observe slowdown right from the boot phase I don't think this is spyware/virus related. So this topic appealed like more applicable one (please direct me elsewhere if it's not). 

My theory is it could have been caused by some leftovers from antiviruses or faulty drivers/removal of a driver or usage of CCleaner when some registry entries probably got removed which affected the whole thing. But then what do I know? Please be my guest. Thanks in advance! 

Edited by hamluis, 07 August 2013 - 05:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:42 PM

Since you have an open topic in the MRL forum...let's go ahead and pursue that topic to closure.

The possibilitiy of malware is a big obstacle to have eliminated from consideration.

Once that topic is concluded, you can either reopen this topic (which I will close) or post a  new topic with then-current issues.  A simple PM to me will result in reopening.