Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accidentally removed all authorised users permissions

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Janine23

Janine23

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:31 PM

Hello,

On my laptop I have two user accounts - admin and a normal user account. In my attempt to block access to one partition of the hard drive for the normal user, I stupidly removed all permissions for authorised users for that particular partition, so that now I get an Access Denied error when I try to access it, even as admin.
How do I fix that?
And as a bonus, once it is fixed, how do I do what I originally wanted to do? (ie make it so the admin can access and use the K: partition, but the normal user cannot access it)

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:26 AM

Is this Windows home premium or Professional? You need to take ownership of the drive with the administrators account then you should be able to re-add the authorised users security group. To take ownership right click on the drive and select the securities tab. Click on "Advanced" and select the owners tab assign the ownership to the administrators group. When you have taken ownership you can go back to the security tab and re assign permissions to authenticated users. To block the other users you can remove the "users" group and explicitly grant Administrators all permissions.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users