Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer won't recognize printer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 prairiedances

prairiedances

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:26 PM

Hi! I was getting help for a virus in the 'wirus, malware, and logs" section. The malware's gone :) but now my computer won't recognize my printer a "printer spooler error" came up. I did Microsoft fix it and it says it fixed the printer spooler error but not adding my printer as the default printer. When I go into "printers and faxes" it's not listed and when I click on "add a printer" the printer spooler error comes up again. I'll double check, but I don't think I have the installation disk for the printer anymore. Any suggestions? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:05 PM

It would have helped if you had said what operating system you are using and the make and model of the printer, so this is generic help !

(1)   Go into Control panel (Add / remove programs or Program and Features) and uninstall your printer

(2)   Go to the printer manufacturer's web-site and download the drivers for your printer and operating system

(3)   Check the installation sequence for your printer (get the manual from their web-site). Printers can be very fussy about when you connect them in the install sequence

(4)   Install your new drivers and the printer as per the manual. If necessary, re-boot, and see if it shows up in printers and faxes. When it does, if it doesn't select itself as the default, click on it and choose 'Set as default'.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 prairiedances

prairiedances
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:36 AM

Hi Chris. Sorry I didn't mention the operating system/make and model of the printer. Thanks your help worked!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users