Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalled XP Pro on Drive D, now what is the best way to wipe Drive C clean?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lulucomer

lulucomer

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:30 PM

Hi Guys!

I just reinstalled XP Pro on drive D on an EMachines T3516a PC. When I did this it came to the Partition Section, I picked delete C because on this PC it was a small size as compared to D. But it warned me that C had important and possibly vital files. So I left it alone and proceeded to install the XP Pro on drive D. Now that it is loaded and I know that it was done successfully. I would like to go ahead and clean all the old files from the PC. Meaning "What is the best way to clean C?" :horse:  or should I reload the XP Pro and this time delete the partition and make it one large drive and put it on Drive C like most PC's are? Before I activate my XP I would like to wipe the old files completely off the computer.

If anyone has some Step-by-Step instructions on the best way to go about this, I would truly appreciate it if you would share them with me !! :hug:

Thanks a whole whoppin heap !!

LuLu the simple minded Hillbilly :guitar:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,565 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:49 PM

What steps did you take to reinstall XP?

Go to Disk Management and post a snapshot, please.  Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Emter/

How To Capture And Edit A Screen Shot. - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43088.html

Louis

#3 lulucomer

lulucomer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:41 PM

Boy howdy I'm sure glad you put instructions on how to post a snap shot, Sir ! :scratchhead:  As soon as I get supper started :deadhorse: I'll read up on how to go about showing ya what I did! I'll try and be back ASAP !!

Thanks a heap,

LuLu

PS

I don't really eat horse ! Ha

#4 madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:16 PM

A great tool for working with drive partitions is the "Free" home version of "Partition Wizard".  This a very powerful and versital tool and it's free (best part).

For XP Pro and lets say a 100gb drive, I make a 20-25gb partion for the OS and install all data, page file and programs on the 75-80gb partition or the "D:\" drive.  It well depend on the size of your drive.

#5 Judith1314

Judith1314

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:55 PM

Well, that depends on your own habit. Most computer users would like to let C drive as system drive, and it is also workable to install on another drive as far as I know. If you think it is ok, you can keep XP OS on drive D.

Also, if you think the partition space is so small, you can use windows disk management to deal with the problem, or use the third free partition software to handle this problem. If you use Window built-in disk management, please back up your important things beforehand. :)

#6 lulucomer

lulucomer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:54 AM

Hamlus,

I have a little problem, sir. You see I have yet to do anything on the EMachine since the install. I was waiting till I got it all cleaned up before I made it internet ready. I've been using my Acer laptop to ask questions here on bleepingcomputers. Is it all right just to tell you what I have done and describe what the EMachine says?

Thanks ,

LuLu

#7 lulucomer

lulucomer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:03 PM

Madcratebuilder and Judith, :hello:

Thanks so much for your replies ! I may just try out the partition wizard. I figure I'll down load it on my Acer put on a cd or usb and install it that way on the EMachine. I have'nt tried the disk management as of yet. I'm really thinking about removing the partition all together if I don't have to have it. I have the XP Pro on an install cd if I need to fix it again in the future.

Thanks a heap guys (or gals)

LuLu :smilers:

#8 Dan Penny

Dan Penny

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:14 PM

Why are you jumping through all these hoops etc. You apparently have an XP CD, just boot the machine with that and remove all partitions, create one single partition (if I understand you correctly), and load XP fresh. XP will be on C:.

It's a good day when you learn something
-----------------------------------------------------------

#9 lulucomer

lulucomer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:33 PM

Dan,

I wanted to make sure that you only need 1 partition. Every other pc I have had has always had more than 1 partition. So I wasn't sure it was something you had to have.(As in more than just 1 huge partition) I guess I am not very good at putting into words what I was trying to ask. So if 1 partition and 1 drive is all that you need, then great !

Thanks !

LuLu :clapping:

#10 Dan Penny

Dan Penny

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:09 PM

Many people use only one partition. It's a matter of personal choice/needs. My Gateway machine came with a 350 GB drive, with Vista pre-loaded. That lasted 10 minutes. I blew it away, repartitioned into three drives and loaded XP on one partition (C:). My computing needs etc caused me to have a dedicated partition (D:) for data as I'm a Moderator on a help forum. If I had by chance to reload windows, I wanted that seperate. My data etc is untouched and not lost through a format.

Edited by Dan Penny, 09 August 2013 - 09:05 AM.

It's a good day when you learn something
-----------------------------------------------------------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users